Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Houston, Did you make the right choice?
Yes 5 25.00%
No 3 15.00%
Maybe 1 5.00%
Not sure 0 0%
Hate it there 1 5.00%
Love it there 3 15.00%
Should have move to another state 0 0%
Can't wait to move out of Houston 2 10.00%
Houston was the best choice 2 10.00%
Mix feelings on Houston 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

Well, this thread went to hell quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
There is significant crime in the loop. I had my bicycle stolen from my yard. The guy came back and tried to get my lawnmower, but my 9mm made him change his mind. He didn't come back. That was near the Heights. I also was the victim of a hit and run there. In Montrose, my friend had his car broken into whern he was visiting me. My downstairs neighbor shot a guy who broke in and was assaulting her. These things happen everywhere, but to say that they are uncommon in Houston is grossly innacurate.
So is acting like being a victim of crime in Houston happens more frequently than dentist appointments. Like I told the other guy, some of you just have bad luck, or are considerably irresponsible with your belongings.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM

91 posts, read 177,124 times
I relocated from Long Island NY and love it here I would never go back. I do not live in Houston but a western suburb that allows me to drive to work in about 45 -60 minutes depending on traffic.
Where I came from in order to make a decent living one needs to go to NYC on a daily basis the commute is horrendous. I realize Houston does not have much in the way of public transportation but if they did and it was anything like the Long Island Railroad and subway I would never go near it. As someone mentioned in an earlier post the work culture leaves alot to be desired, extremely demanding with little personal time 9 to 5 is looked at with much disdain and the compensation does not match efforts of a worker. The weather is horrible I will take the heat any day over 10 degree days in January and February. With regard to activities there are tons of trails on the bayous close to my home plenty of state parks Sam Houston, Steven Austin, LBJ etc if one wants to get out. If you like golf the courses are numerous, the shooting sports the ranges here are top flight back on LI you are confined to some garbage dump that is an hour from your house or more. The food is great I will say the pizza is not so good but given the low cost of living I can eat out more often then in NY. I can go on and on. Oh yeah and the taxes are a great improvement to what one pays in the metro NYC area. I also found out that all things NYer’s said would be inferior are just not true salary, schools, people etc.
No regrets here.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,642 times
In New York recently for the umpteenth time. Eh. Ok to visit but colleagues in my company's NY office don't really sound like they enjoy living here. Most actually live in Manhattan. Too expensive for what you get and have to deal with.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 AM

148 posts, read 389,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, I read his post. It sounds like Houston chewed him up and spit him out. Houston is not for everybody.
Houston doesn't have the status and or the capability to chew someone up and spit them out. Houston has no character or identity. It has nothing to make one feel it's a real and true city. It's almost like saying Plano or Arlington chewed him up and spit him out. There is nothing in Houston that can result in that happening to someone unlike real cities like Dallas, NYC, San Fran, Chicago, Atlanta, L.A.. Those are real cities that are respected worldwide. When was the last time someone did a show on Houston??? I could name about 10 for Dallas. You know why, Houston sucks and no one wants to go there. I can't wait for the remake of Dallas, that is going to be awesome. A true Texas city, not some wannabe city in heart of chemical plants.

Now someone may feel chewed up by Houston having the lowest wages out of the top ten largest cities. It also has the third highest crime rate out of the top ten cites. Houston also has zero tourism unlike Austin or San Antonio. Man, I love Texas so much. It would be so awesome if it wasn't for Houston. Oh, and as far BBQ, San Antonio and Kansas City all the way. I will say this though, Baker Ribs on S.Voss is very good. It was one of the very few nice things about Houston.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So is acting like being a victim of crime in Houston happens more frequently than dentist appointments. Like I told the other guy, some of you just have bad luck, or are considerably irresponsible with your belongings.
How is one irresponsible with their belongings when Houston's wonderful Katrina evacuees kicks in their front door?

418 posts, read 742,170 times
jpimus, if you hate Houston so much, why are you still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
there is nothing in houston that can result in that happening to someone unlike real cities like dallas, nyc, san fran, chicago, atlanta, l.a.. Those are real cities that are respected worldwide.
lmao.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 AM

418 posts, read 742,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
That is right, I am still here.What are you going to do about it?
I'm going to do nothing about it except to wonder why someone would continue to live in a place where they are so miserable.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
lmao.
1996 Olympics is something too laugh at??? Atlanta is so much better than Houston. Real Housewives of Atlanta and next is Dallas. The producers looked at Houston and laughed all the way home. Boy, did they have a laugh. Houston couldn't even touch the Big D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston