Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,763 times

Advertisements

Came across this today on KHOU's website!

I think Houston's had previous hostel start-ups but never anything like this. I'm kind of glad it's in Montrose.

Houston's first hostel offers low-cost lodging for travelers | khou.com Houston

I sure hope the people running the hostel are doing of good of pointing people in the right direction when it comes to exploring Houston. As somebody who has spent a lot of time in hostels (some of which in unfamiliar, less popular destinations), it's always really helpful to have a local working there to point you in the right direction for what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,532 times
Saw it, read it, kind of cool. I hear it's actually nice compared to many other hostels people visit.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,834 times
I dont get it.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
I dont get it.
What don't you get? It's a cheap place for people to stay, when they come to visit for a short time. That's about it.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,763 times
"Short stop" = a few nights

If you're a traveling young person (probably 20-30) and don't have the money to spend on a hotel you can stay in a hostel. Plus there's a certain feeling of community that exists in hostels that don't exist in truck stops or your car. Clearly, Houston is an overnight stop for some people if the hostel has already had/currently has guests.

Perfect example: those (fine) Welsh girls. I mean, the idea of a hostel is to give you 1.)a cheap/safe place to stay, 2.)Allow you to meet people from other parts of the world and 3.)Allow you to explore wherever you are WITH the people you meet.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM

For one, I've stayed in motels for $50 with a queen bed and lots of floor space and a full bath

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
For one, I've stayed in motels for $50 with a queen bed and lots of floor space and a full bath
There's a difference between hostels and hotels though. Hostels have a more intimate and homey feel to it unlike hotels. Lets just say someone wants to come and visit [it happens lol] Houston for a week and they decided to stay at a hostel. There they are able to meet new friends and have more insight on what the city has to offer instead of sticking to the typical attractions [Galleria, NASA, Museum district,etc]

Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 PM

sound good on paper but 'random people' dont look like what you see on TV or the movies. One good thing i guess is for those out of state job seekers

Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,121 times
I used to stay at hostels when i travelled and i'm glad houston is getting one. Some were truly great and memorable experiences -like staying at a monastary or historic landmark. Others were bad (noisy, run down).
Difference btw motel and hostel? In any given city, Hostels should be a lot cheaper than a motel and generally safer than motel. Also, travellers in hostels tend to mingle and share travel tips. I've met some really interesting people at hostels.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Default Great for Houston

Houston has had one for a while here and there, but they were never "permanent" so it is not really 'Houston's first'. This has been in the works for a long while, and if you've ever been a member of Hostelling International, you knew about it years ago.

For those who have never been hosteling, especially in Europe, it may seem like an unevent, but for those that have, the matter is greatly appreciated. I always wondered why Houston, a city of millions, did not have more than just one, yet even the tiniest of cities in Europe have them.

'Lots of great memories of 'hostelling', lots of interesting places and stories to tell, 'hostelling' is a whole lot of fun if you can manage the time. My wife, then girlfriend, and I had a blast in Europe and Scandanavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: