Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM

157 posts, read 578,225 times

Advertisements

Some hostels are nice, some... not so much. I've slept in a room with 8 other people (bunkbeds), then sometimes had a room to myself. It really depends. The one I stayed at in Hokitika, NZ was fantastic. They left fresh cut lavender on my pillow & dinner was served family style. The people you meet staying in hostels are always very interesting & diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,582,412 times
or you can use a cheap hotel and chat with people during the free breakfast, when getting your laundry done or getting some free ice cubes.
or you can go to Denny's and ID the tourist types

Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM

594 posts, read 1,250,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4string View Post
I stayed in a Swiss hostel once. There weren't many options. When I went to the sleeping quarters, it turned out it was one giant bed! So you "slept" in the same bed with 25-30 people.

Yes, I just stayed the one night!
Yeah, that's weird. Never been my experience and while traveling Europe, I stayed in at least 6 different hostels. One was even run by nuns. It was incredibly clean and quiet.

Met some very interesting people and got ideas to see other things in the area based on the other hostel visitor's suggestion.

Great experience.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
or you can use a cheap hotel and chat with people during the free breakfast, when getting your laundry done or getting some free ice cubes.
or you can go to Denny's and ID the tourist types
You could but it wouldn't be the same (and the Denny's bit would be a little creepy/intrusive). It's just a different experience man. You should try, it can be a lot of fun. Of course, don't try it here. A.)It wouldn't be much fun at all b/c you're from here and B.)you can't stay at the hostel if you're from within 40 miles of Houston.

You should go to San Francisco or NY or something and stay in a hostel. It's fun and, like somebody has already pointed out, you meet so many interesting and diverse people.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:24 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,594,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
For one, I've stayed in motels for $50 with a queen bed and lots of floor space and a full bath

were there any gun shots outside of your motel room ?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,503 times
TimBomb just doesn't get it, or is just being stubborn.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,582,412 times
nah I just dont get it. I've been in an Audi car club outings a few times, one was in snowboarding/etc in Vermont. These are not exactly random people and while I did have a good time, I still found a few things I'd rather not have around when at my sleeping quarters.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,612 times
staying in a hostel on vacation or an awesome hotel right where the action is... if you have the funds clearly one is better than the other. that discussion has not been brought up yet

Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
staying in a hostel on vacation or an awesome hotel right where the action is... if you have the funds clearly one is better than the other. that discussion has not been brought up yet
This is true. It's also my experience that hostels are for younger travelers. When I was in Sweden, I stayed in a hostel and the entire place was filled w/ young people. I think the oldest was like 28! The second to last day there, this random guy from Denmark showed up and he was like 50-something. ALL of us..not just the Americans looked at each other in the common room at breakfast like "wtf...why aren't you in a hotel?".

Oh well. It's still good for the young travelers of the world and for Houston b/c it'll help expose the city to a younger traveler! Hostel on people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: