Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 7,545 times

Advertisements

I live in Houston, Tx and rent a two bedroom apartment in the Westchase area (One of the Abbey Complexes). I have custody of my 15 year old daughter and she and I are the only ones on the lease.

My ex and I lived together for 17 years, but never portrayed ourselves as a married couple. She get's no alimony, but on parting I gave her 15,000 in cash and paid her last 6 months of rent.

I basically gave her a chance to get her life together until she found steady work, but she did absolutely nothing. She was evicted from her apartment on July 3rd of this year. I took her in out of pity and the feelings of my daughter.

The biggest mistake of my like. She has been camped out on my living room sofa-bed since then, and has made no effort to move.

My lease states that an unrelated guest can stay no more than 7 days at my apartment. Well being the mother of my daughter makes this sort of hazy.

I am going out of my mind with this situation, the turmoil and the frustration.

Anyone know how I legally get rid of her? My sanity is going out the window and I feel like a trapped animal. Do I have to go through a process of eviction, or do I simply call the police? There are no utilities in her name and no financial ties between us. Technically, she is not a legal resident of the apartment, and does not have her mail forwarded there. She is so deeply in debt that she won't do mail forwarding. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sign Me,

Desperate in Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,068,176 times
you have no legal obligation to keep her there, mother of the child or not. there is no eviction process. if she doesn't leave after repeated serious requests call the police. be prepared to have that burn that bridge but sounds like that wouldn't be much of a problem.

explain the whole thing to your daughter. im sure she's not happy about seeing her mom like that but it'd still be confusing

Old 09-09-2011, 02:13 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,194,308 times
Put all her crap outside the front door and change the locks.

Ronnie

Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,551,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Put all her crap outside the front door and change the locks.

Ronnie

Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,688,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuySucker View Post
I live in Houston, Tx and rent a two bedroom apartment in the Westchase area (One of the Abbey Complexes). I have custody of my 15 year old daughter and she and I are the only ones on the lease.

My ex and I lived together for 17 years, but never portrayed ourselves as a married couple. She get's no alimony, but on parting I gave her 15,000 in cash and paid her last 6 months of rent.

I basically gave her a chance to get her life together until she found steady work, but she did absolutely nothing. She was evicted from her apartment on July 3rd of this year. I took her in out of pity and the feelings of my daughter.

The biggest mistake of my like. She has been camped out on my living room sofa-bed since then, and has made no effort to move.

My lease states that an unrelated guest can stay no more than 7 days at my apartment. Well being the mother of my daughter makes this sort of hazy.

I am going out of my mind with this situation, the turmoil and the frustration.

Anyone know how I legally get rid of her? My sanity is going out the window and I feel like a trapped animal. Do I have to go through a process of eviction, or do I simply call the police? There are no utilities in her name and no financial ties between us. Technically, she is not a legal resident of the apartment, and does not have her mail forwarded there. She is so deeply in debt that she won't do mail forwarding. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sign Me,

Desperate in Houston
You need a lawyer. This sounds serious and a random internet forum is not the place to go for advice on something like this.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,851,376 times
I say this with all the love and respect I can muster....

grow a pair.

This isn't a situation where you don't know what to do. It isn't about not knowing what to do, it is about doing what you already know you need to do. You know what the answer is.

Sit down with her and tell her in no uncertain terms that she cannot continue to live there. Tell her the end of the month is the absolute last day. She cannot stay there any longer and that it has gone on too long as it is. Then stick to it. Ask her DAILY if she has found a place or does she have relatives she can move in with. But she can't stay there.

She has no rights to your apartment. You don't need a lawyer, you just need to set some boundaries and put her out if she doesn't respect them. This is really not a complicated issue at all.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,545 times
No offense taken. I am pretty much ready to go down that road, but on the other hand was curious whether there was anyone out there in the know (Lawyer, someone in Real Estate, etc), who was aware of how to legally handle it.

If I can avoid going through the courts that would be preferable as I spent an easy $25,000 just winning custody.

I am at the point that I would just like to physically throw her out I am so fed up, but somehow I don't think Law Enforcement would be too happy with that.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,851,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuySucker View Post
No offense taken. I am pretty much ready to go down that road, but on the other hand was curious whether there was anyone out there in the know (Lawyer, someone in Real Estate, etc), who was aware of how to legally handle it.

If I can avoid going through the courts that would be preferable as I spent an easy $25,000 just winning custody.

I am at the point that I would just like to physically throw her out I am so fed up, but somehow I don't think Law Enforcement would be too happy with that.
If she is not on the lease not only does she have no legal right to the apartment, her presence there is a violation of the lease. If you put her things out and change the locks, there is nothing she can do.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM

115 posts, read 397,620 times
She is the mother of your child. She's been with you for 17 years and doesn't even have a ring on her finger? She has invested a lot of time with you and now you had your fun and expect to break clean? You've made your bed.... Sympathy goes to your daughter.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,172,698 times
If she is not on the lease and you are not married or common law then you can just tell her to leave, and if she doesn't call the police, you don't need a lawyer for that. By the way shouldn't this be in the relationship forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: