Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,088,929 times

Advertisements

not all kids are attached to the hip of their parents. girl could be sick of seeing her mother do nothing and feel good riddance when she is kicked out

you don't think the girl seeing her father (who she voiced she wanted to permanently live with) stressed out and under the financial burden of the bump on the log mother would also cause her distress?

of course talk to the girl but if she is a stable teenager they are smart enough to understand what is best for all parties involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,182,467 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but wouldn't they be considered in a Common Law marriage in Texas once they have lived together for 2+ years?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 AM

2,629 posts, read 8,875,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, but wouldn't they be considered in a Common Law marriage in Texas once they have lived together for 2+ years?
I believe you also have to "present yourself" as husband and wife as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,182,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Ah, I see.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM

24,279 posts, read 15,386,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
not all kids are attached to the hip of their parents. girl could be sick of seeing her mother do nothing and feel good riddance when she is kicked out

you don't think the girl seeing her father (who she voiced she wanted to permanently live with) stressed out and under the financial burden of the bump on the log mother would also cause her distress?

of course talk to the girl but if she is a stable teenager they are smart enough to understand what is best for all parties involved
I may have a little different take on it having been a foster family to 2 different teen aged girls. One had her sisters over all the time, too.
If the girl is 1/2 bright and 1/2 stable, she knows her mother better than anybody. That does not mean anybody can bad mouth the mom. That is the very last thing the kid needs. Sounds like the mom is a con artist or really depressed. None of us has any idea. When the mom can no longer get what she needs from the dad, she may very well make the daughter her next target. The kid will need to be able to withstand whatever guilt and pressure the mom tries to lay on her. The dad is having a hard time with it, the kid will need to be really strong.
I still pick door #3. Get her into her own place, whatever it is. Even if he has to borrow money from his momma. She only has clothes to move.
Call the mental health folks. There is some kind of help from the county.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:47 AM

2,629 posts, read 8,875,673 times
Of course on the flip side of this, playing devil's advocate, if you lived in an alimony state and she could prove common law marriage, you might have been stuck with alimony. If the OP has a hard time just putting her on the streets, go put her in a $400 a month garage apt somewhere, move her clothes over there and pay for it for 3 months in advance and tell her it is up to her after that.

Then, um, don't let back in 3 months from now....

Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,221,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Exactly. Which includes co-mingling funds.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,294,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Exactly. Which includes co-mingling funds.
In this case, I don't think the other side ever had any funds to co-mingle, by the sounds of it.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,221,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
In this case, I don't think the other side ever had any funds to co-mingle, by the sounds of it.
Joint checking would do it. Prima facia.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM

3,764 posts, read 12,474,067 times
I also think the simple route is the best. As for the daughter, I think it would be an excellent lesson for her if its explained properly:

"Honey, when someone is productive and works hard, they are able to live in a nice place and can afford nice things. Unfortunately, if they think that the world owes them a living, life can be very hard.

Your mother is unfortunately having to learn this lesson now."

My advice - pack her up, be generous and give her $100.00 cash and kick her to the curb.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 09-12-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: