Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:29 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree with everyone's advice to just pack her stuff and change the locks, but if this seems TOO complicated and to immoral for you, then maybe you just look for another apartment ( do it the proper way, with notice and all) and move out, WITHOUT taking her along. It's silly in my opinion, but you seem to make a big problem while there is none.
Moving out is still cheaper than a lawyer ...

However the whole thing makes me think, that you still care about her - just do not want to admit it.

BTW: most places are ok with changing locks. You just need to give them the key and promise that you put the old lock back when you move out.
"Moving out is still cheaper than a lawyer ..." That is not true for most people unless everything you own will fit in your car and you are on a month to month rental. It does not cost more then $100-$200 to talk to most layers just to get their advice. If you move out, you have to pay for a moving truck rental, help moving stuff, new rental and utility deposites and new lease on another place, plus damages from the old place if you are on an extended lease which does not expire for months.

From a landlords perspective I think HtownLove has given the best advice here. Short of talking to a lawyer you can call the Police Department for free advice and ask if they can remove her from your apartment. She is a trespasser and outstayed her welcome. I'm sure they encounter this often and will be able to tell you what they can and cannot do. That will give you more information to help you decide to talk to a lawyer or what to do next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:37 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,668 times
To just throw the Mom out on the street would be too traumatic for the child I think..evenif you do sit down and discuss it with her first..she is 15 and would understand the words..but the reality of the act would be something differently entirely..
Since you had the money to give her $15,000 and also spend $25,000 on legal fees for custody..(good move BTW) I would do one of the 3 following things
1. Have the conversation with the daughter...then send her away for 2 weeks or a month. While she is gone proceed to evict the Mother however you choose to do it. When the child returns you can tell her her mother went to live on a farm...
2. You move and leave Mom to fend for herself when management evicts her...
3. Move her to her own apartment or hotel, pay the rent for 2-3 months..buy food for a month and give her $1000.00 dollars then declare the bank closed. FOREVER!!!! You might also give her a card for one of those disability lawyers so she can get on SSI or SSDI cause it sounds like her problems are serious.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,601 times
without him explaining anything about the woman it doesn't sound like she would qualify for disability. not just anyone can actually get that and she'd need to have a qualifying letter/record from a doctor. SSI is something she could do as it does not appear she has the means to support herself.

people have made this issue overly complicated. OP seems to like living in complication. bad all the way around. don't see this thread going anywhere

Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
^^^ some people just don't believe that things could be done an easy and simple way.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM

24,019 posts, read 15,115,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
To just throw the Mom out on the street would be too traumatic for the child I think..evenif you do sit down and discuss it with her first..she is 15 and would understand the words..but the reality of the act would be something differently entirely..
Since you had the money to give her $15,000 and also spend $25,000 on legal fees for custody..(good move BTW) I would do one of the 3 following things
1. Have the conversation with the daughter...then send her away for 2 weeks or a month. While she is gone proceed to evict the Mother however you choose to do it. When the child returns you can tell her her mother went to live on a farm...
2. You move and leave Mom to fend for herself when management evicts her...
3. Move her to her own apartment or hotel, pay the rent for 2-3 months..buy food for a month and give her $1000.00 dollars then declare the bank closed. FOREVER!!!! You might also give her a card for one of those disability lawyers so she can get on SSI or SSDI cause it sounds like her problems are serious.
This. I'd pick #3. That is the best way to resolve it for your daughter. The daughter knows the mom is nuts or a hustler. That may be, but she is still the child's mom. If you don't get her gone, you will have her forever. If she is one of those who just can't make it, she will get help from the county.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,677,860 times
She may have created some sort of legal tenancy so I would check your local library's landlord / tenant laws just to be sure. I think NoLo Press has some books on the subject.

I rented a room to guy and later he had his married girlfriend move in with him. I wanted no part of that, and didn't want to pay for her, but the cops claimed I was stuck and had to give him a 30 day written notice. It was a long 30 days but when he left, I changed the locks. A few days later a neighbor said he was attempting to use his old key but couldn't get back into my house. I suspect he was trying to rob me of some of my things that he had become acustom to.

This woman is setting a very bad example for the little girl and fixing that should be the highest priority.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,982,375 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This. I'd pick #3. That is the best way to resolve it for your daughter. The daughter knows the mom is nuts or a hustler. That may be, but she is still the child's mom. If you don't get her gone, you will have her forever. If she is one of those who just can't make it, she will get help from the county.
I dunno, that sounds kinda pricey to me. moving costs and 3 months rent could total 2k. Plus food and 1000 cash, you are talking about 3.5-4k right there.

I would

1. Try to get her to move and help her get help.

2. go the legal way.

If I had three months free rent, food in the fridge and money in the pocket, I would be partying not trying to get back on my feet.

Just saying....

Ronnie.

whoops. My bad.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ some people just don't believe that things could be done an easy and simple way.
No disrespect but easy is not always right...like I said..even if you spent 2 days explaining to the child what must be done and the child agrees!!! what happens when it comes time for the child to actually see her Mother on the street is another thing entirely..She may not be able to handle it or forgive her Father for what he did to her Mother..even if she understood on an intellectual level. I fear it would scar her for quite awhile.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,982,375 times
Quote:
No disrespect but easy is not always right...like I said..even if you spent 2 days explaining to the child what must be done and the child agrees!!! what happens when it comes time for the child to actually see her Mother on the street is another thing entirely..She may not be able to handle it or forgive her Father for what he did to her Mother..even if she understood on an intellectual level. I fear it would scar her for quite awhile.
I agree. The number one thing you can do to make your child hate you for years to come is to ill-treat one of her parents or try to isolate that child from her parent

Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 AM

24,019 posts, read 15,115,869 times
There are those 200 dollar a week motels all over town. Put her in there for a month or two. Call the county and find out what they can do about a person who will not or cannot take care of themselves.
My daughter had a friend through high school and college who was fine. She married and had 2 kids. Hubby had a great job. This lady just went off the deep end. It is some sort of mental illness. Her family and friends did everything they knew how to do to get this person back on track, for years. It ain't happening.
Unless your ex is just plain lazy, she needs a mental health professional. Either way, as long as you and this woman share a daughter, you are tied to her for life. Best get her out of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: