Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,179,526 times

Advertisements

Like I said. Put all her crap on the porch and change the locks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,454,568 times
Maybe you can send her here

The Women's Home of Houston - Houston Shelter Helping Women in Crisis Rebuild Their Lives

Old 09-13-2011, 05:05 PM

104 posts, read 136,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

I co-sign on this. From the information I've gathered it sounds like your ex may be in need of help that you are not able to provide at the moment. Simply giving her money will not fix the problem if she is not in a healthy emotional state. You have to remember that she is not only losing her daughter but a life partner. Not only that, the economy is not getting better any time soon. Its so easy for a single woman to become victimized in this type of environment. Some people may say she is unstable and to simply throw her out but you have to ask yourself...would you rather help her get on her feet using every viable resource or could you live with the possibility of her becoming a victim of the streets?

Star of Hope Mission - For Houston's Homeless

PS
If you have the time you may want to look into a jobs training progam. Some churches also have support groups for women in crisis. However if you choose to go that route...please do your homework and look into places with a solid reputation and experience.

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 09-13-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM

61,794 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Again... We do not know if she is emotional unstable, vulnerable, disabled or maybe just plain lazy. Some people are just so. OP does not discuss that, he needs a plan of eviction. Just that.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,539 times
Just as an update here is some advice I received from the Tenants Council of Houston:

"According to your lease/agreement with your landlord, you could be evicted for having her stay longer than the time allotted for guests. If you are on good terms with the landlord/manager, you might ask that person to put a letter on your door stating that if your guest is not gone in 3 days, he will begin eviction proceedings agains you. That might spur your EX into leaving. If your manager is the type that strictly adheres to the letter of the lease, you might not want to involve him in case he does decide to evict you.
You might also want to suggest to her that she apply for residence at The Houston Womens' Home The Women’s Home of Houston – Helping Women Build Independent Lives. They are an organization that helps women get a new start. If she agrees to leave, you could write up a simple agreement with a specific date for her to vacate and both sign and date it.
If she won't agree to leave, you could call the law enforcement agency for your jurisdiction and speak to someone at the non-emergency desk. Different agencies handle domestic situations differently as long as there is no violence present. Short of that, you may have to actually begin eviction proceedings against her. I am sending you the link to the Tenants Rights Handbook: ttp://www.houstontenants.org/2009TenantsRightsPamphlet.pdf.

Please let me know if you are not able to resolve the problem with this information.

Sincerely,
Name Removed
Tenants' Council of Houston"

I also spoke to my lawyer from my case and he pretty much gave the same advice. The one thing my lawyer said was not to take all her things and leave them on the front porch and change the locks. In his experience, if things get out of hand and your ex creates a disturbance, depending on the cop answering the call, you could both end up in handcuffs. The police are not going to take the time to read the lease and see who is and who is not on the lease.

Not knowing how strict my apartment's management is, that's a route I would rather avoid. The plan right now is to get my daughter prepared for what might happen and try to negotiate a date for my EX to leave. If that does not work, I will call my local police department and see what they say.

If ultimately I have to file for eviction so be it.

BTW thanks for all the advice, I will let you all now how it works out. Maybe it will help someone in the future if they find themselves in a similar position.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,454,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuySucker View Post
Just as an update here is some advice I received from the Tenants Council of Houston:

"According to your lease/agreement with your landlord, you could be evicted for having her stay longer than the time allotted for guests. If you are on good terms with the landlord/manager, you might ask that person to put a letter on your door stating that if your guest is not gone in 3 days, he will begin eviction proceedings agains you. That might spur your EX into leaving. If your manager is the type that strictly adheres to the letter of the lease, you might not want to involve him in case he does decide to evict you.
You might also want to suggest to her that she apply for residence at The Houston Womens' Home The Women’s Home of Houston – Helping Women Build Independent Lives. They are an organization that helps women get a new start. If she agrees to leave, you could write up a simple agreement with a specific date for her to vacate and both sign and date it.
If she won't agree to leave, you could call the law enforcement agency for your jurisdiction and speak to someone at the non-emergency desk. Different agencies handle domestic situations differently as long as there is no violence present. Short of that, you may have to actually begin eviction proceedings against her. I am sending you the link to the Tenants Rights Handbook: ttp://www.houstontenants.org/2009TenantsRightsPamphlet.pdf.

Please let me know if you are not able to resolve the problem with this information.

Sincerely,
Name Removed
Tenants' Council of Houston"

I also spoke to my lawyer from my case and he pretty much gave the same advice. The one thing my lawyer said was not to take all her things and leave them on the front porch and change the locks. In his experience, if things get out of hand and your ex creates a disturbance, depending on the cop answering the call, you could both end up in handcuffs. The police are not going to take the time to read the lease and see who is and who is not on the lease.

Not knowing how strict my apartment's management is, that's a route I would rather avoid. The plan right now is to get my daughter prepared for what might happen and try to negotiate a date for my EX to leave. If that does not work, I will call my local police department and see what they say.

If ultimately I have to file for eviction so be it.

BTW thanks for all the advice, I will let you all now how it works out. Maybe it will help someone in the future if they find themselves in a similar position.
I would send her to the link that you proved in this post...it's the same place that I suggested to you in my post. I really think that is a place that might be able to help her get back on her feet. I would contact that place and see if they can help you. Why would you negotiate a date with her. I would negotiate a date with the women's house and then tell your ex what the date is going to be...and if she does not want to go to that place then I would begin the eviction process for her to be out of your apt. Not for all of you to be evicted...only her. You can only help so much and either she gets it or she does not. I would not waste anymore time and effort in trying to help this women after this attempt. She is not getting better with your help. It is only enabling her to be dependent on you. The best gift you could give to her is to liberate her from being dependent on you.

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: