Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:02 AM

58 posts, read 90,172 times

Advertisements

Hi Houstonians

I will be in Houston for 2 weeks in September and need some information as well as advice. I have done research on the city and now will visit to see if this is a good place to start a new life. I am a 46-year-old man, soon to be divorced, and have no children. I have been living in the Miami/ Fort Lauderdale ,Florida area for 30 years and am unhappy here. The COL is relatively high here and wages just don't match. People are very rude/unfriendly here. Although I am employed here, the economy is terrible. Crime seems to be getting worse here-including violent crime. At the end of the day I need not just a change in scenary, but a new start.

Questions:

I am looking at an extended stay hotel that is located at 13505 North Fwy. Houston ,Texas 77060. Is this a safe neighborhood? The hotel is called Studio Plus Deluxe Studios. Does anyone know anything about the hotel itself?

I am a Registered Nurse (BSN) with 6 years of med/surg-telemetry experience and am hoping to land a job in the TMC or one of Houston's suburbs. I want a night shift position. I am ready to deal with brutal traffic if necessary (although I woud prefer to avoid it if possible). How is the nursing industry in Houston? The impression I get from hospital websites is that there are plenty of jobs for experienced nurses.

I can afford $1,200 monthly rent for an apartment-is this reasonable in the downtown or TMC areas?

What are must see places in Houston? On my list of places to visit are Hermann Park, Houston Zoo, Discovery Green, some of the museums in the museum district, Galveston Beach... What are some other places?

Is Houston a friendly, down-to-earth place where someone with a strong work ethic and a positive attitude can build a new life?

Finally my last question <sigh> I am an American (born and raised in this country) with Hispanic roots (Puerto Rican father, Dominican mother). Are people like me well received in Houston? Do people of different races/ethnic groups get along/interact well in Houston? From what I have read your city is a very diverse place.

That's all the questions for now. I apologize for my long-winded post. I apologize ahead of time for the race question. I mean no offence.

Thank You to all who will answer. I really do need info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
Welcome! I think you would fit right in here.

There are many hospitals here, and the Medical Center houses most of them. The only thing I can see holding you back is sometimes it takes a long time for hospital HR to get back to you.

Right now hospitals are dealing with nurses who graduated in May/June and those graduates are just now getting ther license. But since you have experience, that may take you to the top of the pile.

May I ask why you are planning on staying at this particular location? Others can attest to the area itself (I am not in that neck of the woods). But there are several studio-type hotels that are great for staying weeks at a time closer to the medical center. Just curious.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Ihafer Thank You for responding...I chose that hotel because it was the cheapest I could find that was not way, way out in the suburbs. The extended stay hotels close to downtown and the TMC are considerably more expensive. I am trying to save money, yet I will change hotels if someone on this forum states that the neighborhood is unsafe.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM

687 posts, read 2,129,141 times
Lots of hospitals in the outlying areas for you to check out, if you're looking for employment. Go to the main hospital websites, such as the methodist hospital, st. luke, memorial hermann, texas women's... you can search for positions by location also. Also consider private physician offices and clinics, such as kelsey-seybold. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,562 times
I'll keep it short by saying that I think you'll do fine in the Houston area. I'd think the medical background would be good, that your apartment monthly rent limit would be fine (actually well over what you probably would need), and the race question is no issue at all in a city like this.

Most of those sightseeing spots are good, though you might want to wait a few months before tackling them. It's just so hot now. You might want to wait until October or November.

I'd check on that extended stay hotel though, and that area. Hopefully someone will respond with what that area is like, or a website (crime tracker) to show what it is like. I guess it is off I-45 (North Freeway??) Seems like places near the freeways tend to be rough, maybe due to the road noise, and high desirability of quick access / get-away.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM

157 posts, read 578,167 times
77060 is Greenspoint, which is not a safe area (nicknamed "Gunspoint"). However, you should be fine since the extended stay is more of hotel than it is a neighborhood.

What made you choose this area? Why not look inside the loop if you're looking for nightlife options?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM

BTW- I used to work right over by there. Our IT guy lived in one of those hotels during the week (he actually lived in Co). There's several extended stay hotels clumped close together since the airport (IAH) is right there.
Have you applied anywhere yet?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
There is an Extended stay hotel on off 59 near Shephard.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 AM

hhheights77007

I chose this location because of the low cost. This same chain has other extended stay hotels by reliant stadium/TMC-inside the loop. The problem is that I would be paying about $400-$500 more for my 2 week stay. That is money I would rather use for fun. I have not applied to any hospital yet. First I have to see if Houston is for me. In some ways I'm sure that Houston has many similarities to the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area...long, hot humid summers, potentially vulnerable to hurricanes, racially/ethnically diverse city, tough traffic, etc.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Being inside the loop will be more expensive. Hmm.. will you have a car? You can always just use that place to crash & play elsewhere. *Or* have you considered renting a room? Rooms inside the loop rent anywhere from 200-500 bucks/month which usually includes a furnished room, private bath & all bills paid.... check craigslist as some might rent by the week. I think it would be nice to stay with someone who knows the area and you might even make a friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston