Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 15,328 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to Houston around October this year. I am an avid fly fisherman. Given the heat I doubt very much if there is any trout fishing nearby. Do people fly fish for other species? How far would I have to travel to go trout fishing?

Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 05:54 PM

7,547 posts, read 11,608,757 times
Maybe one of the rivers in the hill country you can fly fish

Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,993,309 times
No fly fishing here. There is a big body of water east of the city you can fish in.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 AM

39 posts, read 154,533 times
I do not know about Galveston, but I am from NW florida and people fish for speckled sea trout on the fly around here. same thing for redfish too. I've seen a guy catch a cobia on a fly rod before. IDK if they have pompano down that way but those are a target as well. its not the same thing as fly fishing in a stream, but it could be an option. Might need heavier gear though.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 AM

40 posts, read 101,912 times
Guadalupe River in the Hill Country

Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 AM

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM

98 posts, read 310,634 times
Actually, I think you are going to like it here. There is no shortage of places to fly fish along the coast. You will probably want to target red fish, but you can certainly catch speckled trout, flounder and maybe a few other species. The back side of Galveston Island is a good place to start. Much of the bay is fairly shallow and you can wade fish a lot of territory. Get a kayak and (obviously) you can cover even more. Fly fishing is not common but it's certainly doable. Most of the people fishing along the coast use live bait. Most people catch and keep. This is in sharp contrast to where I grew up (Colorado) where almost everyone uses artificial lures and practices catch and release.

This book is an introduction to tactics and locations to fly fish on the coast in Texas:

Amazon.com: Fly Fishing the Texas Coast: Backcountry Flats to Bluewater (9780871088888): Phil H. Shook, Chuck Scates, David Sams: Books

This is a good book on wade fishing the coast from a historical perspective:

Amazon.com: Plugger: Wade Fishing the Gulf Coast (9780896725102): Rudy Grigar, W. R. McAfee: Books

Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarwvu View Post
Actually, I think you are going to like it here. There is no shortage of places to fly fish along the coast. You will probably want to target red fish, but you can certainly catch speckled trout, flounder and maybe a few other species. The back side of Galveston Island is a good place to start. Much of the bay is fairly shallow and you can wade fish a lot of territory. Get a kayak and (obviously) you can cover even more. Fly fishing is not common but it's certainly doable. Most of the people fishing along the coast use live bait. Most people catch and keep. This is in sharp contrast to where I grew up (Colorado) where almost everyone uses artificial lures and practices catch and release.

This book is an introduction to tactics and locations to fly fish on the coast in Texas:

Amazon.com: Fly Fishing the Texas Coast: Backcountry Flats to Bluewater (9780871088888): Phil H. Shook, Chuck Scates, David Sams: Books

This is a good book on wade fishing the coast from a historical perspective:

Amazon.com: Plugger: Wade Fishing the Gulf Coast (9780896725102): Rudy Grigar, W. R. McAfee: Books
Excellent information, thanks very much.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM

133 posts, read 268,983 times
I live in the Clear Lake area and have kayaks. Where's a good place to learn how to fly fish?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM

225 posts, read 521,638 times
You can fly fish for white bass when they are running in the creeks. They start running in December and end around late March. You can fish the creeks that feed into Lake Houston. Your best bet is Spring Creek and the best spot to walk in is at Jesse Jones Park in Humble. Any kind of wet fly should work, they will hit almost anything when they are schooling in the creeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston