Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 PM

52 posts, read 173,715 times

Advertisements

Ok id like some unbiased answers. I'm moving down may 1st and would like to know if the metro runs daily? What time do they start or stop running during the day? Night? What areas aren't serviced like can you hop on a metro in sugarland? What about pearland? What's the biggest advantage of taking the metro. I'm considering living in the inner loop how long would it take to get to greenspoint or galleria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM

193 posts, read 437,039 times
Not trying to be rude, but this website will answer most if not all of your questions.

METRO - Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Houston, Texas

Transportation from Sugar Land to Houston is a bit limited because Sugar Land is in Fort Bend county so they have separate transportation systems. There are a couple of routes that run into various parts of Houston.

Here is Fort Bend's site:

Fort Bend County - Public Transportation

Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
I'm considering living in the inner loop how long would it take to get to greenspoint or galleria?
METRO probably has slightly above average at best bus service inside the loop. Service to the Galleria would be doable, but Greenspoint would be very tedious and long.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,574,876 times
Galleria to/from downtown or anywhere in between on Westheimer is about as reliable as METRO buses get on the 81/82 routes. How long it takes depends on traffic. It's a bus. It's on a street. Streets have traffic. Westheimer has a lot of it. What might take 10 minutes on Sunday evening might take 30 in the Friday afternoon rush.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM

That's understandble do they run everyday? I think the metro s a pretty reliable source of transportarion especially given the price of gas here. In Ohio I'm use ti half an hour bus rides so that doesn't bother me at all.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
METRO probably has slightly above average at best bus service inside the loop. Service to the Galleria would be doable, but Greenspoint would be very tedious and long.
That's not true, by brother moved to Greenspoint two months ago, he uses an express bus that hops onto 45 from UHD and exits the beltway. It uses the HOV on 45 too.

Sounds far less tedious than going to the Galleria on the Westheimer or Richmond buses.

Furthermore, people keep talking about the inner loop like it is best at everything (yes yes, I know, I live in the inner loop so I should be defending it) but it is not. getting around in the SW is on par, or even easier than the inner loop.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_haze View Post
That's understandble do they run everyday? I think the metro s a pretty reliable source of transportarion especially given the price of gas here. In Ohio I'm use ti half an hour bus rides so that doesn't bother me at all.
It depends on where you live. Some buss run really late in the night (I am talking about 2am) and start back up really early (like 4:30 am).

Buses like the Westheimer buses used to run 24 hrs a day on weekdays.

There are a crap load more buses running from downtown or the rail stations going west. It is not an inner loop/rest of Houston thing. The east side of Houston is rather limited buswise, so is the south.

Going west and north offers a lot more buses. On Westheimer for example there is the 53, 42, 78 and the 81 and the 82 so there are buses every few minutes.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That's not true, by brother moved to Greenspoint two months ago, he uses an express bus that hops onto 45 from UHD and exits the beltway. It uses the HOV on 45 too.

Sounds far less tedious than going to the Galleria on the Westheimer or Richmond buses.
I see, I'm not familiar with the route so I was guessing. However, you still haven't explained how to get to UHD? But no worries because you couldn't possibly know the starting point. Therefore how can you possibly deduce it's far less tedious by sound alone?! Just having a bit of fun.

Quote:
Furthermore, people keep talking about the inner loop like it is best at everything (yes yes, I know, I live in the inner loop so I should be defending it) but it is not. getting around in the SW is on par, or even easier than the inner loop.
I see. Well I agree, but I wasn't trying to suggest that in the loop transit is the best.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 AM

The website however does not provide a telephone number. There are also a lot of park and ride locations for the metro if you didn't want to. Fight traffic or waste gas wouldn't it be advantageous to hop on a park and ridein let's say clear lake and ride downtown. Or how long would a ride be from kingwood to sharpstown or beltway 8?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 AM

98 posts, read 310,285 times
The ride to/from from Clear Lake is 35 minutes during rush hour from Bay Area Park and Ride. At peak times it runs every 6-10 minutes. Outside of rush hour it runs less frequently and during the day and evening (9-3 and 7-10 or so) it runs about once an hour as the 249. When it is running as the 249 I avoid it like the plague because it stops at all the park and rides and runs on the highway which makes the trip take a long long time. It does not run on the weekends. It costs 4.50 one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston