Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM

22 posts, read 54,525 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
Those of you who were/are out-of-state (Texas), how did you get hired in your job in Houston's Metro? how was the process? ... was it a relocation of your past job? ... or was it thru regular job-engines, then an interview?... or did you travel to Houston for a couple of days and then you applied right and left?... or was thru networking?...

Please share your experience, or share any helpful tip, advice for an out-of-state to find a job in Houston (i'm very interested in The Woodlands area, and of course I'm open to other options).

Hope to read from you

Happy Holidays everyone !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:07 AM

155 posts, read 543,426 times
I work in the IT field and was planning on moving the fam from LA to Houston back in '06. Once I sold the house and began the process of building our home out here I started looking for a job in the Houston area. Sent dozens of resume each week, got a couple of bites and even flew a couple of times out here for an interview. None of them panned out and I wasted a ton of money on redeye and turnaround flights. I ended up getting a job 3 months after I moved out here. But that was in '06 and the IT market out here was flat at the time.

Your situation will be different depending on your field and demand for your expertise.

If I had to do it over, I would have just waited until I moved out here. Talking to a couple of HR reps, they mentioned that when they receive "out-of-state" resumes, they usually get tossed into the trash. IMO If you are in a position to wait until you are here permanently, that may be better...

Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 AM

22 posts, read 54,525 times
Thanks Over for sharing your experience.

I'll be looking for an office job in these areas (administrative, marketing, international trade, export, French, etc).

I'm in New Orleans area now. There is no rash for me to get that future job, but I hope that I'll be able to get an offer by June-July... Should I start now?

Me too, i heard the same thing that if HR see a non-local address, the resume goes to trash

Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM

7,900 posts, read 11,465,032 times
I moved to Houston twice. First time was my initial job following completing my BS ChE. I was interviewed on campus at OSU, brought down to the area for a site visit and a round of interviews and accepted the job. Second time was a transfer from NJ with the same employer I joined out of college. The moves from Houston were part of a career development plan. I got the job in Houston despite not having met my immediate boss and did not take a trip to Houston before moving.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,674,989 times
We moved here for my husband's job. He got that job through on campus recruiting as he was finishing up his PhD in geology. He made several trips down to Houston for interviews, etc, before being offered the job.

I wonder if a recruiter could be of assistance to your search.

Good luck!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 PM

18,159 posts, read 25,405,878 times
I have an engineering degree
but you have to have a good GPA or lots of experience

Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,457,163 times
I have an engineering degree as well. Went out to CT for a year after graduation and contracted for a big aerospace company. I was onsite so I was able to get in their internal online job board. I applied for a few jobs in Houston with said company... also had a few jobs applied for in Florida and Alabama. Interview process was simply flying down for 2 days... having an interview with my supervisor. I had 3 offers... 2 in Houston where I interviewed in person, 1 in Florida by phone interview. I took the one I felt was most stable... which I'm glad I did. The fl job was awesome, but I probably would have been laid off last year. Was never asked about my GPA, but part of that was probably because my school is top 3 for Aerospace in the country. They did check with my professional references, though.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 PM

543 posts, read 1,390,533 times
I got my job through connection with my old co-worker.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 PM

497 posts, read 1,489,527 times
I tried for over two years to get hired here from out of state. Finally got tired of the total lack of response and just moved. I had 2 job offers in two weeks. That was before the economy cratered though and I'm a programmer.

Moving without a job is risky. You will have to decide if it makes sense for you. Unless you have skills that are in high demand I would not recommend it.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,604,776 times
Alief ISD recruited me from the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston