Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times

Advertisements

^^ You really can't. They're not regular house roaches that are attracted by filth. They're outside bugs and can sometimes find themselves inside even the cleanest home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,175 times
the big cockroaches are just about everywhere. they are not limited to the south or the US. where was the OP coming from Greenland? i only ever see them in the house in the early spring or after a really rainy week.

the big cockroaches do mainly live outside. i sweep them up and throw them out the door. they have been on this planet longer than we have, maybe we are the pests ?!

if you ever see the little tiny ones call an exterminator immediately. they are the kind that live in dirty homes. it may be an offending neighbor or former home owner that brought them in. several treatments are basically the only way to get rid of them.

ive heard cockroaches are trainable so i feel abusive if i kill one. the little jumping spiders though... i try not to kill them but it is more difficult herding a spider out the door

Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,244,502 times
I have a real bad phobia of cockroaches. If I knew one of those dreadful monsters was in my apartment, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to go to sleep, even for some time after I kill it. And just the thought of having one of them crawling on me is enough to put me into an instant state of shock. I noticed that most of them like to come in through the vents, so I now have all my vents covered with insect screens.

I also spray all the corners and crannies with Ortho Home Defense every week, which also does a decent job of keeping them at bay. Haven't seen one in months (knocks on computer desk). If by chance one comes into your space, I recommend a good insect net and a can of Raid. Trap, then spray. Otherwise, be prepared to deal with a flying roach on an adrenaline rush. I'll give you a hint - Not at all fun.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Those??
Nope! This is the South. They are not very active in winter, though.
Good God did you really have to post a picture of one!!?? Yeeecchhh!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,175 times
dude its a bug! it doesnt have laser beams and mini chainsaws just multiple legs

Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 PM

No, bugs are fun, sometimes cute, even collectible. These things are just pure evil.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
dude its a bug! it doesnt have laser beams and mini chainsaws just multiple legs
I guess you've never heard any stories of those things crawling in people's ears, huh?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 PM

345 posts, read 1,078,828 times
elnina~ I'm still trying to stifle the dry heaves from that pic...

One of those things greeted me by my back patio the day I closed on the house. They used to freak me out, but now I've got a system that allows me to keep my previous meal down when I see them:

Necessary Materials: Plastic solo cup (any color will do), toilet (American Standard, but any type that flushes will suffice)

Step one: Turn on the water in the sink. The second his or her legs begin to float, make a clean scoop with the solo cup. Said critter should now be in the solo cup, slightly stunned.

Step two: In the same motion of the scoop, turn and deposit said critter into the toilet.

Step three: Flush.

Step four: Wash hands.

This of course will not work for everyone. If I see them, they are usually in my master bathroom sink. As such the scoop and flush method works really well. This method is great for keeping the dry heaves at bay as it eliminates the "crunch and juice" sequence commonly seen with other methods of capital punishment.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM

61,804 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Yeah??? Never experienced that you flush the bug, and the bug comes out again ( most of them can swim, you know?). So be careful, when you flush, and check the toilet before you sit on it NOT kidding!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM

61,804 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I guess you've never heard any stories of those things crawling in people's ears, huh?
Earwigs are actually best known for the myth that they will nest in people’s ears at night. This is actually unfound and although they are small enough to fit, it has yet to be proven true. They are easily distinguished from most insects because of their pincers at the ends of their bodies.
I suppose this still could possibly happen, as insects that roam at night do have to hide somewhere, and an article years ago reported that doctors in some inner city areas of Los Angeles report that about half of the “foreign” objects they remove from the ears of children turn out to be cockroaches. No reason an earwig should not crawl in too.
Most adult earwigs have wings (some species are wingless) and although they have wings and are capable of flight, they are rarely seen flying around.

For more information about common pests ( how they look like, where they live, and how to get rid of them ) click the link below:
Bed Bugs Pages | PestMall Blog
This is a very informative site.
Happy reading!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston