Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,903,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Because it will fly right at you if you miss.
Aw, he just wants to play, Jluke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,931,922 times
You can't get rid of them, they're indigenous to the region and love our houses.

They're mainly waterbugs. You don't want to have any exposed standing water.

Otherwise, just live with it. Everybody in Houston does. George and Barbara Bush do. Anybody who says they don't have them---is lying.

They don't live INSIDE your house though, they come in looking for food and water, mostly and mainly through the pipes.

As to the heat---um, dear, I hate it for you, but learn to love A/C. Moving to Houston and crying about the heat is like me moving to Minnesota and crying about the snow (which I did). I truly do hate snow, and wound up leaving a great job to get away from it. I hated Minnesota. I wanted to get back to sunshine and warmth.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,407,432 times
EWWWW! When you crush one it crunches.... you can hear the bones (I know they don't actually have bones) crunch! It is so crunchy crunchy crunchy. And you have to crush it hard too!!

I had my door open one day and one flew right it, it was panicked and running into the walls and appliances in the kitchen. It was hitting so hard I thought there was an actual bird in my house for a few minutes until he slowed down and I saw the buggar!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,903,924 times
As far as which areas they're most likely, I hear that they're more common around heavily wooded areas. So if you live in an area of Houston that has less trees, you're might be less likely to see as someone who lives in more forested regions of the city.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,336,188 times
I've heard the same thing AlGreen has heard - they are more common near woods. If you are that afraid of the roaches, then go get you a pet lizard. Get one of the big lizards that can eat bugs that size and turn him loose!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,563,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenya56 View Post
is there a way to avoid them? I will pass out if one lands on me. (we are moving to Houston very soon). Are some areas more prone to them than others?
You've lived a sheltered life. These bugs are everywhere. I've seen them in New York City and Washington DC.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,935,537 times

Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM

125 posts, read 240,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
EWWWW! When you crush one it crunches.... you can hear the bones (I know they don't actually have bones) crunch! It is so crunchy crunchy crunchy. And you have to crush it hard too!!!
You better have it well wrapped in a paper towel when you crunch it...I learned this the hard way. The thing exploded and juices went everywhere, including on me.

Most disgusting moment of my life. I probably set a world record getting to the shower.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,304,219 times
I see them most often in vacant houses. I have had maybe two in the house in forever. Cat got it both times - I just saw the corpse, while the cat was batting it around.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 AM

764 posts, read 1,432,154 times
My cats seem to take care of them when they get in the house. They show up first in the garage and in the backyard, then somehow come inside the house. I can't stand the things - from what my mother tells me, I was born with this "roach phobia" and went into hysterics whenever I saw one even as a baby and toddler (I'm originally from Florida).

Oddly I only saw maybe one or two of them the whole time I lived in the woods out near Plantersville, but since moving back to NW Houston, I see them much more often during the summer, once or twice a week or so. How do you stop them from coming inside? Ick!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston