Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:17 PM

10 posts, read 50,670 times

Advertisements

I've been looking online and was looking for just an average cost per square foot in having carpet installed in my home. I know it varies by type, but was wondering if there was an average price. I want to justify just putting carpet, rather than placing wood or laminate in the living room. Since I have 2 pets, I'm seriously thinking of just recarpeting. So to summarize:

Does anyone know that cost per square foot to buy and install carpet?

If anyone has laminate wood flooring and pets, does the wood flooring really get scratched up that bad? If so, how long did it last for you?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 06:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Cats or dogs? It makes a difference.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Ah, that would help! I have one mini dachshund and a dalmatian.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Big dogs can be tough on wood. Try Lumber Liquidators off 290. I think they have carpet, also - and the prices are good. You can make a price comparison by using the same square footage. Some of the laminates hold up well with dogs.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbush3 View Post
I've been looking online and was looking for just an average cost per square foot in having carpet installed in my home. I know it varies by type, but was wondering if there was an average price. I want to justify just putting carpet, rather than placing wood or laminate in the living room. Since I have 2 pets, I'm seriously thinking of just recarpeting. So to summarize:

If anyone has laminate wood flooring and pets, does the wood flooring really get scratched up that bad? If so, how long did it last for you?

Thanks for your input!
We recently did some cost comparison with my friends, flippers.
Basic carpet = $1-2 per sq ft of carpet + $0.5-1.0 foam backing + pickets = $2-3 per sq ft total

You can get laminate flooring for about that much. Or engineered flooring for $3-4. Or even hardwood/bamboo for $3 and up on sale and craigslist.

If your concern is scratches from your pets, I would consider:
- install a laminate and keep extra in case you need to remove a few boards. Since it is easy to do it.
- install light colors since the scratches are not as visible
- put a rug/carpet on top. As an option, you can buy a piece of carpeting with rubber backing and overlock the edges. And it will look just as well on a hardwood as placed straight. But the benefit is that you can roll it and clean it at any given moment. But it will cost you two times as much (a layer of laminate and a layer of rollable carpet)

Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the pricing. I figured carpet installs was around $2sqft. I'm thinking of recarpeting in the bedrooms and living room. Ceramic tile in the bathrooms (previous owner had carpet!), kitchen and foyer. Laminate in the dining. However, altogether it seems pricey. So much to do in getting a new home, and I still have to paint!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbush3 View Post

Thanks for your input!
Carpet? Laminate?
No no no.

Get tile, real wood. Do it right. Pet friendly too.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Carpet? Laminate?
No no no.

Get tile, real wood. Do it right. Pet friendly too.
I second the tile (check the varieties). If laminate is not an option, I would rather use engineered wood (it does not curve like a regular wood) or bamboo.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,447 times
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to stick with Tile in kitchen, bathrooms and foyer. real wood in the formal dining and probably carpet in living and bedrooms for now.
Just for everyone to know, the average quote I got for carpet (no frills type) was $1/sqft. Installing Wood flooring was $2.99/sqft (I buy supplies) and tile was the same. Removal of old flooring was .75/sqft. If anyone knows of lower prices, let me know!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
What part of Houston are you in? The handyman I use for all my small jobs just did a couple rooms in one of my rentals in laminate for $1.50 sq. ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston