Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM

32 posts, read 104,149 times

Advertisements

Only 1 Costco for Fort Bend county is enough, too much of it would be overwhelming; a strategic location can be close to Sugar Land, Stafford, Missouri City, Richmond and Rosenberg - Greatwood area where Hwy 59 is a good tool to place the Super Costco. Sizeable shoppers welcomes it if it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,354,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Costco and Sam's aren't even in the same universe.

We used to live a mile from Costco's headquarters in Issaquah, WA. One thing for sure about them: they are famously secretive about the location for new stores. They can be almost done with building it and starting to hire new employees and they still won't release details until much later than you would expect. I am not sure why.
I lived very near a Costco in NY and loved it. That would be great to see one here, even though I'm very close to a Sam's and occasionally go when a relative who's a member shops. I pick up water and trash bags <G>.

As for the secrecy...I'm guessing it's to avoid local residents opposed to a "big Box" retailer? Look at all the hoopla with WalMart in the Heights and I forget the other location where the locals stopped them. Don't know why one is up for public purview and the other is not, though. i.e. if Costco can be "almost done with building it" and nobody notices or had a chance to object?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,839,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
As for the secrecy...I'm guessing it's to avoid local residents opposed to a "big Box" retailer? Look at all the hoopla with WalMart in the Heights and I forget the other location where the locals stopped them. Don't know why one is up for public purview and the other is not, though. i.e. if Costco can be "almost done with building it" and nobody notices or had a chance to object?
Because Costco is famous for their progressive pro-employee policies and high quality merchandise and Walmart is most definitely NOT.

In a real estate ad, you could say, "Conveniently located near Costco," and it might even ADD value to your resale home. I've seen people advertise this in Colorado and Washington State. Can you imagine bragging that your home is near Walmart?

Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,354,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Because Costco is famous for their progressive pro-employee policies and high quality merchandise and Walmart is most definitely NOT.

In a real estate ad, you could say, "Conveniently located near Costco," and it might even ADD value to your resale home. I've seen people advertise this in Colorado and Washington State. Can you imagine bragging that your home is near Walmart?

Ah. Good point.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,857,465 times
Someone in another forum mentioned a location at Hwy 59 & Hwy 6. But I think First Colony is built out, and there's probably no more available land there for something large like a Costco.

IF it's true and Costco really is coming to the area, it would probably more likely be on all of that retail land still available in Telfair. Or maybe even Aliana along the Grand Pkwy side. There's already a Super Target and large WalMart and Sam's in central Sugar Land, and a Super Target and WalMart in Missouri City off Hwy 6. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go somewhere on or near the Grand Pkwy just based off that.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,184,279 times
Costco and Sam's shouldn't even be in the same sentence, IMHO. Costco's signature brand "Kirkland Signature" is constantly rated very highly in Consumer Reports for everything from Applesauce to Underwear. If Costco was 50 miles away, I'd still go there to buy Kirkland Cashews and Kirkland Reading Glasses (4 pack for $25).

Ronnie

Old 09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,559,144 times
I hope it does happen. We need one in Sugarland. I will probably not renew my Sams if they do open one. It would probably take a couple of years before they do break ground and get it done, so i better keep Sams for another 2 yrs or so.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,833,782 times
Will there be a Costco in Katy or West Houston?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:40 AM

239 posts, read 639,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Will there be a Costco in Katy or West Houston?
West Houston already has one, on I-10 sort of across the way from Memorial City Mall. With only two other locations in the entire metro area, I can't imagine that building another one out toward that end of town would be a big priority for them right now.

If a new locale were indeed in the works, my bet would be Ft. Bend County, probably somewhere along the West Park toll road, near the Grand Parkway, where it could pull from both Sugar Land and far south Katy, and everything in between.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,812,979 times
Have these rumors been proven to be true, yet, or am I still too early?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston