Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,129 times

Advertisements

I want to put my front load washer & dryer on the 3rd. floor of the house, next to the bathroom, top of the stairs, large landing. Would be placed on hardwood floor which is already finished. What do i need to do to accomplish this. Manufacturer of machines said not a good idea, but my legs say there should be a way. I live in a duplex townhouse and these would be on the wall next to my neighbor. I see this as a concern, but overcome by not using at night. Appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjjellaa View Post
I want to put my front load washer & dryer on the 3rd. floor of the house, next to the bathroom, top of the stairs, large landing. Would be placed on hardwood floor which is already finished. What do i need to do to accomplish this. Manufacturer of machines said not a good idea, but my legs say there should be a way. I live in a duplex townhouse and these would be on the wall next to my neighbor. I see this as a concern, but overcome by not using at night. Appreciate any help.
Sufficient water supply and drainline), electric (at least 110v dedicated for the washer and/or 220v for electric dryer), gas (if gas dryer), overflow line for pan routed to the exterior.

See, nothing to it! Just a few thousand and your house turned upside-down for a week or so.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Sufficient water supply and drainline), electric (at least 110v dedicated for the washer and/or 220v for electric dryer), gas (if gas dryer), overflow line for pan routed to the exterior.

See, nothing to it! Just a few thousand and your house turned upside-down for a week or so.
Not to mention all the love the neighbors will be feeling as they listen to that washer and dryer thump against their wall.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I prefer first floor mudroom/laundry between the kitchen and garage.

Keeps the dirty, smelly sports uniforms and gardening clothes away from sleeping areas.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:04 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
So my new house has a laundry room on the second floor. I thought maybe that was a good thing considering the bedrooms were on the second as well.

Anyway, I was shopping around over the weekend for a new washer & dryer and was told that a front loader was a really bad choice. It has been known to make more excessive noise since its not on a solid foundation, and it tends to flood alot.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is there really a disadvantage to having a laundry room on the second floor?
Sounds like the best to me close to bedrooms & bathrooms, my our located to both! ... I have front loads , steam set by Electrolux going on 3 years now, so far been super happy the best set I have ever owned worth ever penny we spent, no flooding, quite no rocking/walking while spinning all the things I had with my top loads in the past!.... We did have a water pan catcher installed that the washer set in, with drainer that runs under house to the outside, encase it ever happens since every top load we have owned has overflowed on us, even my Maytag's, Electrolux replaced that set..

Old 10-26-2014, 03:07 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Our pan looks something like this...

Old 10-26-2014, 04:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I would always choose to have my laundry near the bedrooms. There are built in safeguards in the second floor laundry rooms I have seen, such as having the washer in a pan and/or a membrane under the tile floor. Also, the warning to change the hoses every 5 years, or so, and turn off the water supply if you go on vacation. Beyond that, go for it.
Safeguards will not guard against every possible thing that could go wrong, but I would still go for it.
I have just had the unfortunate experience of having my water heater, which is in the attic, burst and flood the kitchen. They still keep putting them in attics here, where there are no basements, and that's why I have insurance.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:00 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Mine will be on the 2nd floor with the bedrooms, and I would not have bought the house if that were not the case. I've lived in multi-story buildings for the past 20 years, with every unit having a washer and dryer. So not just the 2nd floor, but the 8th and 10th floor too. Stainless hoses and a washer pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House