Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 AM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,905,863 times

Advertisements

Some newer homes have 2nd floor laundry rooms. I know they're supposed to be beneficial, but are they really? I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons from those who have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Some newer homes have 2nd floor laundry rooms. I know they're supposed to be beneficial, but are they really? I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons from those who have them.
Just my 2 cents...I wouldn't have one. #1, I do laundry late at night when everyone else is asleep so this would not be good. #2, I would be a nervous wreck worrying that my washer would overflow or have a plumbing issue and then flooding not only the floor, but the ceiling of the room below

Old 04-18-2008, 10:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I cannot own a home that there isnt a second floor laundry room we have front loaders so we would not have an issue with overflow and lol we will deal with plumbing issue if that ever happens.

The reason I like second floor because that is where the bedrooms and bathrooms are and laundry baskets are so it easy transport.

I could never understand homes with the laundry room in the kitchen that is place where I eat and I dont want clothes there or have to go downstairs and grab something out of the dryer to wear if I havent folded anything yet.

I do agree with above poster about you cant do late night laundry especially since I always have coins left in the pockets. But if someone in your household made you mad throw a shoe in the dryer it such a good pay back.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
I have had an upstairs laundry room once. It was okay - very convenient in the sense of throwing laundry in from the rooms where most of it is generated (kids clothing, towels, bedsheets, etc)

However, the problems are what Loves stated. Can be disruptive to sleep if you do laundry at odd hours (as I often do). Also, if it is located in a bathroom, no folding space. I solved the "stacked up laundry problem" by placing a laundry basket (color coded) in each kid's bedroom, rather than leaving laundry stacked up in the bathroom.

Some laundries upstairs are in halls, and the space becomes even more problematic w/ folding, where to put dirty clothing, etc.

I prefer a laundry room off the kitchen, but again - just fits me and my habits. I adapted to the upstairs laundry by figuring out ways to handle the inconveniences w/ folding and dirty clothes waiting to be washed.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I cannot own a home that there isnt a second floor laundry room we have front loaders so we would not have an issue with overflow and lol we will deal with plumbing issue if that ever happens.

The reason I like second floor because that is where the bedrooms and bathrooms are and laundry baskets are so it easy transport.

I could never understand homes with the laundry room in the kitchen that is place where I eat and I dont want clothes there or have to go downstairs and grab something out of the dryer to wear if I havent folded anything yet.

I do agree with above poster about you cant do late night laundry especially since I always have coins left in the pockets. But if someone in your household made you mad throw a shoe in the dryer it such a good pay back.

hahahahahahaha - well Sunny, I never thought of that before! That is so funny, but better than slamming cabinet doors like I usually do!!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I've had the misfortune of my washing machine overflowing at the wall where the hose takes the water out of the machine - at least 3 times over the last 8 years. This has made a MESS of my utility room floor, and if it weren't on a slab I would have been looking at very expensive damage.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Well I have had one upstairs in both homes we have owned and I don't really like it. This one is inbetween my kids bedrooms so I can't really do laundry late at night, which is usually the only time I can really do it. So for sure our next home will have a laundry room downstairs. I have always preferred having the garage attached to the laundry room downstairs as I really dislike having my garage off of our tv room.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I've had the misfortune of my washing machine overflowing at the wall where the hose takes the water out of the machine - at least 3 times over the last 8 years. This has made a MESS of my utility room floor, and if it weren't on a slab I would have been looking at very expensive damage.

In both of our houses we have that plastic tray under the washer and an emergency drain that goes straight outside in the event that the washer overflows. Most builders do this standard now.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
In both of our houses we have that plastic tray under the washer and an emergency drain that goes straight outside in the event that the washer overflows. Most builders do this standard now.
Problem is, the water hasn't come from the machine itself, but from the hose in back on the machine where it goes into the drain in the wall. It overflows that space, rushes down the wall and spreads out quickly all over the whole utility room floor. I don't think the pan under my washer would have helped catch it.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Problem is, the water hasn't come from the machine itself, but from the hose in back on the machine where it goes into the drain in the wall. It overflows that space, rushes down the wall and spreads out quickly all over the whole utility room floor. I don't think the pan under my washer would have helped catch it.
No it wouldn't. I have pans under mine as I have had spill overs.

They have these cut offs now . . . would that help? Some kind of hose w/ a valve or something. Am I showing my ignorance? Hee Hee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House