Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No it wouldn't. I have pans under mine as I have had spill overs.

They have these cut offs now . . . would that help? Some kind of hose w/ a valve or something. Am I showing my ignorance? Hee Hee.
Well, fortunately, I have been right in my kitchen every time this has happened and I have rushed quickly to push the buttom to stop the machine. As soon as I do that the water begins to recede. Still, in the 10 seconds or so it took for me to react the water did cover a large area. Each time I have had to completely move both the washer and the dryer to mop up the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,906,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I've had the misfortune of my washing machine overflowing at the wall where the hose takes the water out of the machine - at least 3 times over the last 8 years. This has made a MESS of my utility room floor, and if it weren't on a slab I would have been looking at very expensive damage.
Well loves...if it isn't for bad luck on washers, you wouldn't have any at all! I have mine on the second floor, and like Sunny, THAT was a big selling point for me. Back in the northeast, the dang laundry was in the basement...let's see, one basket down from the second floor to 2 stories down to the basement. Then you go upstairs...come down again to switch to dryer then load the second load, and then up again. Come down to take it out of the dryer, and switch from washer to dryer. Repeat about 7 times on weekends. You get the picture... as the primary laundry diva in the house, I could give a rat's a$$$ if my family can't sleep with the raucous...which BTW with the new front loaders where I can choose spin speed, noise is non-existent. I can also choose loudness of the buzzers or choose none at all. Everyone in my household could sleep through a tornado anyhow, and if anyone ever is awake due to laundry, they would not dare let me know or they might just have to do the next load won't they?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
In both of our houses we have that plastic tray under the washer and an emergency drain that goes straight outside in the event that the washer overflows. Most builders do this standard now.
I wish I had the drain. I had that in one house and it sure was a nice convenience in case of overflows or burst pipes.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Well loves...if it isn't for bad luck on washers, you wouldn't have any at all! I have mine on the second floor, and like Sunny, THAT was a big selling point for me. Back in the northeast, the dang laundry was in the basement...let's see, one basket down from the second floor to 2 stories down to the basement. Then you go upstairs...come down again to switch to dryer then load the second load, and then up again. Come down to take it out of the dryer, and switch from washer to dryer. Repeat about 7 times on weekends. You get the picture... as the primary laundry diva in the house, I could give a rat's a$$$ if my family can't sleep with the raucous...which BTW with the new front loaders where I can choose spin speed, noise is non-existent. I can also choose loudness of the buzzers or choose none at all. Everyone in my household could sleep through a tornado anyhow, and if anyone ever is awake due to laundry, they would not dare let me know or they might just have to do the next load won't they?

HAHAHAHAHA - Bibit, you have the right idea - make the complainers do the next load!

I'm just like Ani, I like having my utility room right off my kitchen - I can monitor things better while I am also cooking or working at the computer.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,558,220 times
To me in a house...depends on where the master bedroom is. If ALL the bedrooms are upstairs...then personally I think the laundry room should be upstairs. If the master is down...then the laundry room should be down.

In our loft it is on the 1st floor due to the only thing upstairs is a loft bedroom and a walk in closet and a full bath. Everything else is downstairs.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,549,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
HAHAHAHAHA - Bibit, you have the right idea - make the complainers do the next load!

I'm just like Ani, I like having my utility room right off my kitchen - I can monitor things better while I am also cooking or working at the computer.
I see how it would function for you but I dont mind washing clothes I just hate folding clothes and in my previous home I would have piles of clothes that could not find there way off kitchen nook table back upstairs.
Bibit left off one thing the forgotton item lol.
You are doing whites and you go back upstairs and find some you have forgotton ooooo oooo lol
I have been contiplating of just getting rid of the dryer and take to one of those laundry mats where they dry and fold for you

Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM

210 posts, read 604,746 times
They have automatic shutoffs now where if the hose leaks or breaks it turns itself off. I think it works so that valve only opens and lets water through when it picks up pressure from the washing machine.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 AM

513 posts, read 2,112,872 times
I have mine upstairs and love it. It is so nice not having to lug all the laundry up and down the stairs! As people above have posted, it can be a pain at night. But I have VERY quiet front loaders and they have never woken anyone up! I run them at night all the time. We also have a drain that goes directly outside should anything happen, and automatic shutoff valves.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM

206 posts, read 799,462 times
I like the laundry downstairs. We had the washer leak in our last house and thank goodness it was down or we would have had major issues.

I actually end up doing more laundry when it is downstairs. I find myself spending most of my time downstairs so it is easier for me to remember the laundry even exists.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 PM

300 posts, read 764,042 times
Smile I prefer laundry room down stairs

I have a second laundry room, I would prefer first floor instead. but I had a hard time when I was house hunting last year to find a house that had first floor laundry room.

I have had problems with mine. besides each time I do laundry I fear that it will overflow. and that I had my washer making some much noise and banging around jumping upstairs. after the 3 time service call. they finally fix for now problem one of the leg screws was so loose each time I did laundry the whole washer was jumping around almost hitting the walls.

I just read somewhere now they have washer and dryers especially designed for the second floor. I know my sister has a front loader on second floor and it makes some much noise and banging around that it knocks pics downstairs on the first floor.

Just my opionion I prefer first floor laundry rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House