Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:57 AM

578 posts, read 3,082,697 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about NC but laundry chutes are no longer allowed by code here in NY, or so I'm told. Apparently they're a fire hazard due to a non-stairway opening connecting separated stories. But what do I know?

My 3-story split has a laundry chute and it is truly great. Drops from the beds down to a closet next to the laundry room. I'd personally think a 2nd story laundry would be ideal. I just get nervous about all that possibility of water issues. I've had a drain hose come disconnected and filled my basement slab laundry room with 3" of water within a few seconds. If that were a 2nd floor it'd be a major issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 12:20 PM

567 posts, read 2,143,032 times
An upstairs laundry makes so much sense! If all of your bedrooms are upstairs, then that is where the laundry comes from, so no lugging dirty and clean clothes up and down.

When house-hunting, we looked for upstairs laundry rooms if the bedrooms were upstairs.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,147 times
We have a second floor laundry and front load washer as well. Front loaders use considerably less water than top loader so should the machine leak during a cycle, you're less likely to have a ton of water coming from the machine. I definitely can hear our washer spin, but like most things that make noise you get used to them. Our washer sits in a pan with a drain pipe to catch overflows.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,014,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin HW Engineer View Post
Regarding noise concerns for having the laundry on the 2nd floor: Whenever I remodel a room I put fiberglass insulation inside the interior walls for sound proofing. Very quiet. We have to yell to be heard in the other room
the downside... my wife is quite used to yelling at me...

I had thought about benefits of a laundry room on the 2nd floor. However, I am planning for a 2nd Master Suite on the 1st floor for my mother. When The Lord calls her to join my Dad, this room could become a home office, or perhaps I might use it when I get up in years.

The benefits of a laundry and Master on the first floor: You carry laundry up & down stairs when your hips & knees are young and you are physically able to run marathons up & down 50 flights of stairs. When you get to be the age of your parents, laundry, kitchen, & bedroom are on the same floor. Of course, we all must live within the restrictions of our own budget.

A laundry chute
I currently live in a 1 story ranch with a basement. When I remodelled one bathroom, I installed a laundry chute. The clothes slide down into a basket 5 feet away from the washer. Saves the trips carrying dirtly clothes down to the washer, although you still have to carry the clean clothes upstairs. Being a woodworker:
I stained & finished the exterior,
sanded, finished & polished the interior, since part of the chute slides at 45 degrees from the vertical
Over the past 10 years, this has saved me 50 hours doing nothing but running up and down the stairs
10 years * 52 weeks/year * 6 trips / week * 1 minute / trip
I used this 50 hours of savings ..to build the laundry chute.
More fun than running up & down the stairs.

Obviously this would not work for most floor plans. You need a bathroom directly above the laundry room... You're son's sitting there watching TV with his friends, and Dad's Pepe LePew boxers drop through the living room ceiling... well...he'll never live that down...
We placed an offer on a home that had an upstairs laundry room and a downstairs masterbedroom. In the closet of that master bedroom there was a spot for a second washer and dryer. this might be a solution for you.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,021 times
I prefer a laundry room on the main level, I looked for a floorplan with a mud room/laundry room on the main level of the 2-story home I chose. The house I picked has a mud room/laundry off the garage and goes into the kitchen...I like this better than a 2nd floor laundry room. I can come in from the garage into the mud room, remove shoes, wet coats, etc...and then enter into my kitchen...for me, makes more sense...and as far as water leaks/floods, although the builders install pans and drains, you still would suffer significant damage. I have seen many insurance claims over the years from the supply hoses bursting, so you don't even need to be doing laundry for a water problem to develop...suggestion, turn off your water supply after your done doing laundry...and especially if your going away on vacation...the only thing holding the pressure back is that rubber hose or if you have installed the stainless hoses, they are bit more tolerant...but I have gotten into the practice of shutting the water valves off....I do have concerns about plumbing leaks from 2nd floor bathrooms/toilets/tubs, etc...but if that happens, it happens, I can't live without 2nd floor baths, but I can live without a 2nd floor laundry room...just works for me...

Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,264,853 times
I've lived in my house for 15 years. Laundry room is on the 2nd floor. Never had a problem (knock on wood). I have a front load washer.

Last house I lived in had laundry room off kitchen on first floor. Second night in house...woke up to water all over my brand new hardwood floors. It helps if you buy new hoses as I hear they can get damaged in transit.

Typically in this area, in newer homes, if the master is on the first floor, laundry room is on first floor. If the master is on 2nd floor, laundry room is on 2nd floor.

By the way...leaks coming through your ceilings due to washers or hot water heaters...this is why we have homeowner's insurance.

Vicki

Old 03-29-2007, 04:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,220,759 times
I had an upstairs laundry closet in my first home (for 10 years) and I never had any leaks or problems. I did install the quick water shut off valve (the handle thingy) and always shut the water off after running the machine. I'd do that no matter where the machine is. I think the stainless hoses are a good investment.

I currently have a front-loader (in the basement of my rental house) and it's never leaked-they don't fill so much as the top-loaders. I've actually not heard of them being prone to leaks. My front loader doesn't seem to 'bounce' like the top loader did during the spin cycle. However, I've only had it in the basement so I can't truly compare to having it upstairs.

I wouldn't hesitate to have a second-floor laundry again.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:40 AM

112 posts, read 760,260 times
We have a second floor laundry and a front load washer. I think it only makes sense to have the laundry on the floor that most of the clothes are on. We have one of those three bin hampers on wheels, so all we have to do is wheel the hamper down the hall to laundry room. No stairs and no lifting. It's very handy, especially for my wife who's 7 months pregnant.

We have had a front load washer since Maytag came out with the Neptune in the late 90's. We're on our second Neptune (we left the first one as part of a home sale) and have yet to have a problem. We do have a drain pan and drain in the laundry room though, just in case.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:52 AM

653 posts, read 2,988,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I can come in from the garage into the mud room, remove shoes, wet coats, etc...and then enter into my kitchen...for me, makes more sense...
I hope you have curtains or blinds on your windows!

And wear an apron when frying bacon.

Just kidding - I know what you mean, we have a mud room off the garage (not a laundry room, just a mud room) and it earns its name.

I have a second floor master/second floor laundry, no problems, love it. Even with my top loader, you still hear the spin cycle, but mostly in the garage, actually, since the laundry room is right next to the bonus room. I never notice it in the main living areas of the house.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,986,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin HW Engineer View Post
Regarding noise concerns for having the laundry on the 2nd floor: Whenever I remodel a room I put fiberglass insulation inside the interior walls for sound proofing. Very quiet. We have to yell to be heard in the other room
the downside... my wife is quite used to yelling at me...

Obviously this would not work for most floor plans. You need a bathroom directly above the laundry room... You're son's sitting there watching TV with his friends, and Dad's Pepe LePew boxers drop through the living room ceiling... well...he'll never live that down...
Ha hahaha!!!
Thanks for the laugh and the great ideas!

A little comic relief on an early Thursday morning was quite needed! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House