Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
I hope you have curtains or blinds on your windows!

And wear an apron when frying bacon.

Just kidding - I know what you mean, we have a mud room off the garage (not a laundry room, just a mud room) and it earns its name.

I have a second floor master/second floor laundry, no problems, love it. Even with my top loader, you still hear the spin cycle, but mostly in the garage, actually, since the laundry room is right next to the bonus room. I never notice it in the main living areas of the house.

hahaha...nope no curtains no blinds no aprons, hahaha just joking! seriously though, I like the set-up of the mud/laundry room concept...grew up in a house like that...and we were trained to use that door mostly...and if we came in the front door...remove your shoes at the door or being screamed at by my hot-headed Italian mom...lol no walking through the house with your shoes on...it's an automatic reflex to take my shoes off as soon as I come home...saves on the floors and carpets...my friends back home would laugh...I would get the "you don't have to take your shoes off" when you enter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM

139 posts, read 550,886 times
I'm with you nynraleigh-I like the mudroom/laundry where the kids come in to play. I dont want a laundry room upstairs. Why? If I have to travel upstairs back and forth to change loads etc what is the savings? I will have a chute that will send clothes directly into a wheeled hamper from the upstairs. Kids will have a cubby for their clothes baskets to haul upstairs when full. I can do 3-4 loads when I wash which means to me up/down that many plus to take mine (master down) up there. But-if my master was upstairs, I can see where laundry down would not make as much sense (only traveling up myself, with no dirty laundry).

Old 03-30-2007, 04:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,220,759 times
I just remembered, we did see a new home with a laundry chute last time we were in Raleigh (Oct)-oh gosh I can't remember the name of the place. It was in Wake Forest or Rolesville, by one of those water tank things? Not Dansforth...Highlands? Highcroft? Sorry, I can't remember-but I remember being so pleasantly suprised because I thought it was a great feature!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,761 times
Default Silent Feet

I would try a set of pads for your machine I have tried several having a very similar problem. I tried the Kellett ones and another set. Probably the best set of pads I have experience are from a company called “The Vibration Solution” they make Silent Feet (The Vibration Solution), great for isolating that high frequency vibration. They worked great for isolating a machine on the second floor that transmits structural noise. The reason I liked their pads more is that they use a material that also isolates things for the military NASCAR and NASA (browse around on their page for a sec). But their material is better because unlike a lot of the competitors that use a “Styrofoam” like material that will break down during uses and loose isolation properties the Silent Feet will not. Worth giving it a shot hope that helps

Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
I wouldn't have a second floor laundry. I hate to tempt fate.

For any of you who have a ranch house and the washer/dryer in the basement, this is what my parents did when they remodeled their bathroom:

Cut a hole in the bathroom floor and position the vanity over the hole so that when you open the vanity door, the hole is right there.

Position a wheeled hamper in the basement directly underneath the hole.

Voila. Instant laundry chute.

The only mistake my dad made was positioning the hole over the water pipes leading to the sink, although I don't think he had a choice. Every now and then you'd have to run down to the basement to pull down the clothes that had wrapped themselves around the water pipes.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
I would have a laundry room on second floor for same reason baths can be a problem. If you have a leak it can be big time problems. I also would make sure that any plumbing on second floor is cast iron becasue PVC is very niosy in the walls as water drains down.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:11 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,266,526 times
My last two houses had the laundry room on the second floor and I never had any problems with flooding, etc. Now, I did not have a front loader washer at the time, and now that I have one (on the first floor) I can see how it could shake the house. When that thing gets spinning it can sound like an aircraft taking off if it's not perfectly balanced and level.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 PM

60 posts, read 173,424 times
I bought a front end loader recently, it is very loud in the spin cycle. I was also told by the salesman that some insurance companies won't insure you for 2nd floor laundry rooms if there is a problem. due to flooding from the washer.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,531,961 times
I would have a dedicated 2nd floor laundry with a tiled drain tub around the washer, not in the bathroom (current rental house has this, lint everywhere, dirty laundry on floor, nowhere to drip dry, it actually was flooded out a few years earlier), not in a hall closet (same issues). And it is recommended that the water be turned off when the washer is not in use...who actually does this? I'm not sure. Steel braided hoses offset the risk of bursting and flooding...much more realistic solution.

Last edited by orrmobl; 03-24-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,268,113 times
I love having the laundry on the 2nd floor, tho I don't have a front loader. It is a huge time and labor saver. 99% of the laundry is upstairs so it is just steps to put it away. I set up 3 hampers so the clothing is presorted as it is taken off. There's just a handful of kitchen towels to take up. Mine has a shower basin with a drain for potential flood issues but in 17 years, I've never had any problems. It is far easier to run upstairs for the 3 minutes it takes to move the clothes than it is to schlep baskets of laundry up and down stairs. A laundry chute only saves the downstairs trip and you still have to sort the laundry and haul it back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House