Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM

520 posts, read 3,925,335 times

Advertisements

Anyone own those stackable washer and dryers?
Looking to purchase a washer/dryer and the ones we are looking at are stackable.

Any pro/cons I should consider before I decide to stack them?

What I like is that they save space in your laundry room.
What I'm not sure about is if they make noise when one is running the other is not. If the dryer is running, will it rattle the washer?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM

5,642 posts, read 24,992,974 times
I used a stacked washer and dryer for over ten years without problem other than the slightly lower capacity. They did not seem to be any more noisy than conventional units.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:02 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,386,132 times
I had a Maytag set years ago (they were full size) and they worked great. I lived in a small house and they were tucked in a closet just big enough for them and they didn't appear loud at all (just the normal sound of a washer or dryer running). I would think now that they would even be better.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 PM

520 posts, read 3,925,335 times
I have no problem setting them side by side. But I also like the stacked looked just wondering if there is anything I should consider before I make the purchase.

Thanks for the input.

Now I wait till Sunday for Sears and 30% off sale on Kenmore.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,854,275 times
The only issue I ever had was the slightly smaller capacity (as mentioned above) and the fact that it was somewhat more difficult to reach inside the washer because the lid dosn't open all the way.

But those are minor issues -- the set did a great job and weren't any noisier than regular-sized machines I've used.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,550,553 times
There are two types of stackables...one type is the "all in one" type. I believe that is what SBG is speaking about.
The other are full size ones that can be stacked or put side by side on pedestals.

For the home in Florida I just bought a set of stackable LG washer/dryer. They are large capacity.....both easily do king size bedding no problem. I bought these because I wanted more room in the laundry area for shelving.

Frank D.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,237,332 times
I have a set that can be stacked or placed side by side under a counter- or left with the top exposed. They are Frigidaire and I previously owned the same washer/dryer under the Kenmore label. I have not any any issues with capacity and think the washer is actually slightly larger since it does not have an agitator. I've fit queen comforters in it before.

You can buy smaller ones as well but mine are about 27" wide and I've been perfectly happy with them. Another possible issue is that some of the ones with front loading machines have a big piece of concrete in them to act as a balance. So when you add the weight of a tank of water to the concrete already there they can be heavy.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,723,936 times
We have Stackables. Seems to be the same amount of noise as any other washer/dryer I've ever owned, and it does seem to save a good amount of floor space. The only issue is that I'm not a big fan of the front-loading washers (especially since I like being able to throw stuff in and pull stuff out in the middle of a wash when I need to).

Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,824,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Anyone own those stackable washer and dryers?
Looking to purchase a washer/dryer and the ones we are looking at are stackable.

Any pro/cons I should consider before I decide to stack them?

What I like is that they save space in your laundry room.
What I'm not sure about is if they make noise when one is running the other is not. If the dryer is running, will it rattle the washer?

Thoughts?
I have the LG Tromm series. I've been happy with them except that front-loading washers tend to get mildewy if you leave the door closed. I haven't had any problems with excessive vibration, rattles or noise in general. They are nice and shiny and remind me of the Jetsons, but I doubt very much that they will still be in working order in 2015. All this junk is built to fail nowadays.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,228,232 times
We have been living in a rental house since August while our home in our previous town has been for sale. We have a stackable set here, the kind that are "all in one" type. I absolutely HATE them and will never buy one myself. For one, someone previously posted that it is harder to reach inside the washer because the lid doesn't open all the way. I hate that. Also, you have to "throw or toss" the clothes into the dryer that is quite high. I'm lucky I'm tall, but I can see that it would be hard for a shorter person. The biggest thing I dislike is that there is no room on top of the w/d to fold clothes or set anything at all. Being this rental has the set in a small pantry type closet off the kitchen I have to use the kitchen counter to put things on and I don't like doing that. It's either that, or put the clothes in a basket and fold them somewhere else in the house. I just prefer to fold as I pull them out of the dryer. To some this may not be a problem, but personally, I just don't like this setup at all!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House