Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,721 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently bought a new built home, and there was no garage door opener installed (it wasn't worth the headache to deal with the builder).

Before winter, we'd love to get one, only we aren't sure we can do it ourselves. I've noticed that the openers aren't very expensive ($150-200), so how much should we expect to pay for installation?

Is Home Depot or Menards a good choice for installation, or should we look for a company that specializes in garages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,399 times
I would suggest to go through a company that specializes in garage doors only because when you go through Home Depot or Lowes, they are subcontracted out so you don't know who is doing the work also it isn't any cheaper.

I would expect to pay anywhere from $350-$450 for a two car garage door. We had one installed when we moved in and paid $400 and that came with an outside key-numbered (not sure on the name) pad to access the door as well. Before selling our old house we paid about $300 for just an opener and 1 remote.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
I built a new house w/the opener installed. When the builder sent out a guy to adjust something on the door, I got his card. I had him come out independently for $75 to install opener I purchased.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
I would deal with a company that does garage doors. they would make sure that your opener was the right one for your door(size and weight of doors varies). plus, if they do it, I am sure there is some type of warranty.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
We got ours at Lowes when they had a special. Installation was about $79. Still going strong after 8 years.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
My first choice is a garage door company. You might also want to call Lowes or Home Depot and ask them who they send out for garage doors, and how much they charge. They may very well send out the same garage door people.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
I have used Home Dept and Lowes for installation of various things in my home and have always been very satisfied. Home Depot/Lowes has always followed up with me to make sure I was satisfied and the contractors always showed up when they said they would, were professional and polite, and did great jobs.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
We too had Lowes install ours (the builder wanted to charge A LOT) and it is good. We bought Chamberlain Whisper Drive openers and they are very quiet.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM

5,864 posts, read 11,919,279 times
We got ours at Sears and had them install. It's been quite awhile, so I'm sure the price has gone up but the installation was $89. It was well worth it to have it installed. we bought cheap ones though and the sprockets wore out so we replaced it ourselves. Unfortunately, it cost the same to replace one as to install new and I thought it was too high. However, if I had it to do over agian, I would buy a heavier duty one and I would pay for the installation!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM

165 posts, read 1,284,935 times
Consider the adjacent living areas when considering which kind of opener to get. We had a typical builder-installed garage door opener on our last house. It was a chain drive, the least expensive kind. But it was under a bedroom, so it would wake the occupants when my husband drove out to work at 5 am. We replaced it with an iDrive. The whole opener is contained within a sealed tube over the garage door opening. It was much quieter and we liked it a lot, though our current builder said his supplier has had numerous complaints about them. Now we're moving again and are going with a mid-cost belt-drive because, since the garage is detached, the noise won't be as much a factor. One upgrade that was nice was the outside keypad. We used it much more than we had anticipated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House