Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times

Advertisements

Assuming the garage door is in place and all you need is the opener, you can do this yourself. I bought and installed a Genie screw drive opener, for the first and only time in my life, years ago for my house and it still works just fine. Just take your time and read the instructions carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Installing a garage door opener is not all that complicated, if you have a few hand tools you can do it. Sears are usually the best value for the money, but the Genie screw-drive units are a little nicer. Given that Sears' customer service has deteriorated from what it was a few years ago, (before being bought out by K-Mart) I'd suggest going with the Genie.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
What I would do is first go on line and read reviews of the openers. Just to get an
idea. then check out ballpark figures for the price. Yes going with a garage door place
is good, but get a price quote. then call sears, and yes contractors, but some are good, and they stand behind the work. you also could check out the box stores. First decide brand, go from there.Frankly for the brand, they should all be close. I just did look, and the builder did this 10 years ago-liftmaster is what I have. so far ok. I know most other brands are ok also. The contractor bit, your product is by who makes it, and the box store does screen who installs, I had a sears dishwasher, the person was a contractor, he knew his job, and was excellent. So good other stores wanted to steal him, but he is very happy, doing installs for sears. If you are handy, ok, if not I would get the expert to do it, and be safe, and
have, if it breaks, a money back, or fix it! I always had luck with the sears kenmore products, therefor buy them. honda the same. also why not
ask the people who do live near you!

Last edited by maggiekate; 09-07-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I built a new house w/the opener installed. When the builder sent out a guy to adjust something on the door, I got his card. I had him come out independently for $75 to install opener I purchased.
the one problem with this, and yes it is done, and, now, does he have permission, and does he have insurance? Of course, he could also work as an independent contractor-which is ok.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times
The keypads and inside garage opener controls really come in handy. I recently bought a house with both and was not familiar with them beforehand. My sister and parents have neither at their house and sometimes their remotes get misplaced. Having the controls right there has been quite helpful.

Last edited by citydweller; 09-08-2008 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-08-2008, 04:18 PM

32 posts, read 164,558 times
We used the neighborhood handyman, installation cost was roughly $100. The Chamberlain Whisper drive from Lowes is nice and quiet. It does not disturb anyone in the room above the garage. It included 2 remotes, a key fob and outdoor # panel for less than $200. I also like that it has a motion sensor light, when you enter the garage from the house it automatically comes on without having to hit any switches. I found the genie to be a little too noisy.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:38 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Installing a garage door opener is not all that complicated, if you have a few hand tools you can do it. Sears are usually the best value for the money, but the Genie screw-drive units are a little nicer. Given that Sears' customer service has deteriorated from what it was a few years ago, (before being bought out by K-Mart) I'd suggest going with the Genie.
Well it turns out that I spent the weekend installing the opener myself. We went with a Genie (Home Depot) with a screw-type opener. Very quiet, and no problems at all.

The opener was less than $200, but HD wanted $120 to install. Even counting my tool expenditures (hacksaw, snips, and my very own ladder), we still came out ahead. The most difficult part was hanging the opener from the ceiling, which took several trips to the hardware store to get all the right stuff.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Well, props to you for DIY. The tools you bought will serve you well for many years, maybe a lifetime, plus, if you need to work on the door opener in the future, you put it in, you know what's what.

I tried to rep you but couldn't - have to "spread the love around" so to speak.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 PM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, props to you for DIY. The tools you bought will serve you well for many years, maybe a lifetime, plus, if you need to work on the door opener in the future, you put it in, you know what's what.

I tried to rep you but couldn't - have to "spread the love around" so to speak.
Lol, thanks. I appreciate the offer

This being our first house, we are still getting a lot of the tools and stuff that we need. We am looking forward to buying our first shovel this winter. Maybe it will be my Christmas gift to my wife.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
FYI, I've been getting tons of coupons from Lowes 10% or $10 off $50 purchases. I used about 3-4 of these and have 3-4 more. I only got 1 or 2 from Home Depot. You should look out for them if you're planning to buy house stuff. The 10% is good for up to $500 off on some coupons.

The Lowes came on USPS change of address mailer and on their receipts after buying something, and after signing on the movers part of the website.

Home Depot has one if you sign up on their movers site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House