Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times

Advertisements

My impressions of free float vinyl is that it is the equivalent of a cheap replaceable carpet. I did the kitchen of my wife's office with free floating vinyl, since it was a small rented space and had low traffic. It worked fine there, but I can't imagine doing a new home kitchen that way. The refrigerator scuff, any heavy object dropped at an angle, any dragging of furniture, all of these will create damage. Even gluedown can be damaged, but the damage is usually nowhere near as extensive.

FWIW, our current home has glued down Nafco 16" square tiles and about a dozen replacement tiles for the inevitable. If one gets damaged, <shrug> oh well. I won't need to get stressed out, just pop the old tile and replace. BTW, the brown travertine pattern is by far the best I have seen for hiding dirt. I can't imagine anything showing dirt less. I've tracked in mud and not been able to see the footprints. The only telltale is the dirty mop water.

I think the builder went cheap, and got caught in a problem of his own making. If it were me, seeing how fragile the floor is, I'd have it ripped out, and sport for the cost of upgrading to tiles instead, and make them eat the cost of laying the tile. Why buy a known headache?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 698 times
The best advice here is to NEVER move an appliance without a dolly or furnature straps. I have been installing vinyl floors for over 20 years and no floor is safe from the weight and bulkiness of a refrigerator. The weight of it alone will cause roll marks due to the wheels and thats even on a securely glued floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House