Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,393,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't know very many people who actually COOK who like it. Look at chef's own kitchens in magazines. They rarely have it. It's a "for-show" product.
The house I own now has granite countertops. I don't know the color name, but it's a mottled dark gray with burgundy flecks, and it came with the house. I think it looks just fine, and it's durable. I cook all the time, and what's on my countertops has absolutely no effect on the quality or quantity of my cooking. Furthermore, my appliances are nothing special. In fact, I suspect the seller swapped out a nicer stove for a cheap glass-top model when he put the house on the market. I still use it. This idea that "real" cooks must have certain kinds of equipment, or (more ridiculously) a certain type of countertop is nonsense. I need a flat surface. What it's made from is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
The scare tactics are good because the average Joe knows little or next to nothing about the general broad field called Health Physics which is the science of how all types of radiation affects living organisms. In the big picture it is primarily a matter of degree and everything is relative. In fact just about all materials in the World are radioactive to some degree, including your own human body. Varying organs of the body collect and store particular elements, some of which can be quite radioactive, it all works as long as certain levels are not exceeded. Probably more risk from a type of chemical poisoning in many cases. Again it is all relative. Vitually all the food you consume is radioactive to some level. Example there was a guy in Canada that got a bad case of Cobalt-60, your blood collects the element in solution. Turns out that was traced to drinking like gallons of beer a day over years and years. Liver probably gave out from the alcohol long before the cobalt got him. It is all about something known as a Body Burden. .
Hardly mentioned much anymore, but all of us Baby Boomers who were drinking cow's milk in the 50s and early 60s consumed considerable amounts of Strontium 90--the fallout from the huge amount of above-ground nuclear weapons testing during that time (hundreds of detonations, mostly in Nevada). That Strontium-90 resides permanently in our bones.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM

14,974 posts, read 12,188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Hardly mentioned much anymore, but all of us Baby Boomers who were drinking cow's milk in the 50s and early 60s consumed considerable amounts of Strontium 90--the fallout from the huge amount of above-ground nuclear weapons testing during that time (hundreds of detonations, mostly in Nevada). That Strontium-90 resides permanently in our bones.
So THAT'S why we glow in the dark!!!!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So THAT'S why we glow in the dark!!!!
Yep. It's an untold secret among radiologists that they can save electricity doing bone X-rays of Boomers by simply not turning on the machine. They just make a noise with their mouths.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,466,179 times
Actually it comes down to your personal choice. Whatever that is go for it. I myself hate laminate, I have had it plenty in the past, never again, my choice.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
There are lovely options out there that are neither granite nor laminate.

We love our soapstone counter tops!

Old 06-22-2015, 04:51 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,985,108 times
NEWSFLASH: Living carries with it the certainty of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House