Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Weird. When I went house-hunting last year I specifically rejected properties with granite countertops.

I hate them. Hate them hate them hate them. They're too high-maintenance, they can crack under high heat, they scratch the crap out of anything glass or ceramic that you put on them, I personally think they're ugly, and they're not practical for a kitchen IMHO.

The house I ended up buying has seafoam green laminate countertops in the kitchen. I'll be replacing the countertop probably in the next few years but it won't be with granite.
For one your very wrong, they are so low maintenance, i had mine for 10 years, beats the crap of anything else out there. They do not scratch, granite is the closest thing hard to a diamond. Nothing scratches granite, obviously you have not had granite. You are the exception, because if you can even afford granite, is not ugly. Laminate is cheaper, and most people if they can afford granite, would much rather have granite. Laminate i know for a fact, is high maintenance, i have had that also, talk about scratches, it does. And granite does not crack under high heat, you can put huge pots that are hot, and they will not crack, it is very hard unlike laminate. Enjoy your laminate, people who can afford granite, will enjoy granite. And most buyers who have a wish list, LAMINATE is not on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Granite counters are low maintenance - since you have never had granite, what do you base your statements on - empirical evidence?!. I have never had granite crack but then I would never put a red hot pan on any counter. Granite does not scratch glass or ceramic - that is completely ridiculous. Having had granite counters in two kitchens - I speak from experience not rumor or hyperbole.
Thank you i agree with you, if you have never had an item, you should not make an opinion on it based on what your own theory. Granite can have hot pots on it, not something i do, but my friends who have granite do all the time, does not hurt it. What a joke granite does not scratch glass or ceramic, where is that coming from, i laughed at that one. Some who cannot afford granite, i guess come up with there own theory. And most people on their wish list still yes want granite, not laminate.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I have granite countertops... I like them... they are very practical and easy to maintain... I have seen other types of countertops and no thanks... the radiation is overhyped... sure its there but you probably get more radiation standing outside in the sun... people who mine for granite, obviously their exposure is WAY different than ours, we don't get granite dust in our lungs...

Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Granite counters are low maintenance - since you have never had granite, what do you base your statements on - empirical evidence?!. I have never had granite crack but then I would never put a red hot pan on any counter. Granite does not scratch glass or ceramic - that is completely ridiculous. Having had granite counters in two kitchens - I speak from experience not rumor or hyperbole.
Ummmm...I rented a place for over two years that had granite countertops in the kitchen and the bathrooms, so yeah...I have had them before. And I have the scratched glasses and plates to prove it. So....

I didn't crack the granite because I have a triple digit IQ and know better than to put a hot pan directly on a granite surface without a trivet, but I've heard from other people that they've had issues with granite cracking even when it isn't exposed to extreme temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
For one your very wrong, they are so low maintenance, i had mine for 10 years, beats the crap of anything else out there. They do not scratch, granite is the closest thing hard to a diamond. Nothing scratches granite, obviously you have not had granite. You are the exception, because if you can even afford granite, is not ugly. Laminate is cheaper, and most people if they can afford granite, would much rather have granite. Laminate i know for a fact, is high maintenance, i have had that also, talk about scratches, it does. And granite does not crack under high heat, you can put huge pots that are hot, and they will not crack, it is very hard unlike laminate. Enjoy your laminate, people who can afford granite, will enjoy granite. And most buyers who have a wish list, LAMINATE is not on it.
See above.

Laminate is not high maintenance, not at all. Granite is faddish and unimaginative and would be very out-of-place in my 1950s ranch house. My laminate counters in the kitchen are probably 25-30 years old and they aren't scratched at all. There aren't any chips in it or stains.

When I do replace the countertops it will probably be with corian, quartz, or some other solid surface. I'm not the biggest fan of laminate but I'd take it over granite. In fact, I did just that. The house 2 doors down from mine has those cheapo 2cm granite counters in it and it looks stupid. The kitchen cabinets are the original ones that were installed in 1956 and the granite sticks out like a sore thumb. I chat with the owners occasionally and they have complained specifically about the "stupid, cheap a## counters" in the kitchen. They looked at my house when it was on the market (and I looked at theirs) and they stated that they preferred my kitchen to theirs. They didn't buy the house only because it had the garage converted to living space. (They said they felt like idiots when they saw how easily I and some friends converted it back into a garage.)

So...not everyone loves granite. Some of us really loathe the HGTV cherry/stainless/granite look. 10-15 years from now it will look to us the way avocado appliances look to us today.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
Quote:
...Laminate is not high maintenance, not at all. Granite is faddish and unimaginative and would be very out-of-place in my 1950s ranch house. My laminate counters in the kitchen are probably 25-30 years old and they aren't scratched at all. There aren't any chips in it or stains.

When I do replace the countertops it will probably be with corian, quartz, or some other solid surface. I'm not the biggest fan of laminate but I'd take it over granite. In fact, I did just that. The house 2 doors down from mine has those cheapo 2cm granite counters in it and it looks stupid. The kitchen cabinets are the original ones that were installed in 1956 and the granite sticks out like a sore thumb. I chat with the owners occasionally and they have complained specifically about the "stupid, cheap a## counters" in the kitchen. They looked at my house when it was on the market (and I looked at theirs) and they stated that they preferred my kitchen to theirs. They didn't buy the house only because it had the garage converted to living space. (They said they felt like idiots when they saw how easily I and some friends converted it back into a garage.)

So...not everyone loves granite. Some of us really loathe the HGTV cherry/stainless/granite look. 10-15 years from now it will look to us the way avocado appliances look to us today.
I'm not going to counter you about what fits in your 1950's kitchen; I'm sure that older styled counter would match a classic 50's era kitchen better than some modern designs. And a lot of it does come down to personal preference, which is subjective, but you can keep your laminate and I'll keep my granite.

That being said- granite comes in countless and limitless colors and variations, I'm sure there are plenty of understated colors that would blend right in with a 1950's kitchen. The "cheapo" 2cm counters that your neighbor installed look bad because they are just that - cheapo 2cm counters. That's not a true granite countertop, just someone putting a thin layer of stone to cover their old counters. Real 3cm+ counters can look great, and with the huge variety of colors, patterns and variations out there, you're bound to find one that looks great in your kitchen and sets it apart from everybody else.

Granite is not a fad, and it's not going anywhere. It's a natural stone product, and will always be in style, just like brick and wood and stone housing, anything natural will always be wanted. Some of the man-made and alternative solid surfaces are just that - alternatives that are trying to compete with the high-end product.

My granite is a lot easier to maintain than the laminate we had before. It doesn't chip, everything wipes easily off, and a quick wipe down and it shines like no other. Granite is a solid, hard stone and does not crack from the heat of a pot. It's solid natural stone, a 450° metal pot wont do a bit of harm to it. That's not a high thermal shock for stone; I haven't had any issues putting hot pots on mine (and I was cautious at first since it seemed so wrong to do, but it's a rock).

Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,040 times
Regardless of whether or not you believe granite is dangerous, letting something as simple and inexpensive as countertops dictate the house you buy seems very, very silly. If you don't like granite, put in cheapo laminate.

I had granite in my last house and I have it in my current house. It stands up to hot pots, pans, cookie sheets, dutch oven, etc. It's easy to wipe clean and I don't have to worry about dinging or damaging it like I would a laminate. I am rough on it, and have broken a few wine glasses on the counters, but it's never scratched single dish.

I am no expert, but would hazard a guess that laminates are not chemical-free

Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Regardless of whether or not you believe granite is dangerous, letting something as simple and inexpensive as countertops dictate the house you buy seems very, very silly. If you don't like granite, put in cheapo laminate.
And some of us don't want to pay the premium to the former owners for their granite just to replace a perfectly serviceable work surface.

Quote:
I had granite in my last house and I have it in my current house. It stands up to hot pots, pans, cookie sheets, dutch oven, etc. It's easy to wipe clean and I don't have to worry about dinging or damaging it like I would a laminate. I am rough on it, and have broken a few wine glasses on the counters, but it's never scratched single dish.
Good for you, I'm glad you're happy with it. Believe it or not, I don't care what other people put in their kitchens.

Quote:
I am no expert, but would hazard a guess that laminates are not chemical-free
Roll your eyes all you like...then please go back and find where I said either of the following:

• Granite is dangerous
  • Laminate is chemical-free

Both statements are false.

I threw my 2 cents in here because I get tired of the assumption that everyone loves granite and that not only is it NOT dangerous, it's MANDATORY in any kitchen remodel if you ever...EVER...want to sell your house in the future.

Not true. Granite looks fine in the Tuscan theme parks in the outer suburbs but IMHO there is no such thing as a work surface that is appropriate for every single application. This includes granite. Granite looks stupid in houses of my home's vintage. And my house's vintage fixtures and registers would look out of place in the Tuscan theme park. You're also seeing less and less granite in high-end custom builds around here. Why? Because it's seen as common, trendy, and yes...cheap. When you have $90k starter homes in areas that used to be nothing but trailer parks and firework stands sporting granite counters, you don't really want to put them in your million dollar spec homes anymore. Most of the ones I'm seeing have work surfaces other than granite in the kitchens and bathrooms. For that segment of the market, granite seems to be very over (at least around here).

Stop taking things so personally.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,040 times
Quote:
Stop taking things so personally.
Didn't realize you were the only poster permitted to voice your opinion. Believe it or not, it's not all about you. I don't care what's in your kitchen, and care even less what you think of my choices.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
For one your very wrong, they are so low maintenance, i had mine for 10 years, beats the crap of anything else out there. They do not scratch, granite is the closest thing hard to a diamond.
Um, sorry, but granite is not the closest mineral in hardness next to a diamond, its quite a ways off on the Moh's scale, which is the standard.
Solitaire | Knowledge | The Mohs Scale of Hardness (http://www.solitaire.com.sg/knowledge/mohs_scale.html - broken link)
I have seen scratched granite countertops, my granite installation guy gripes about it all the time.
I think I would be far more worried about the petroleum used in granite sealers. Installers recommend that countertops be sealed twice a year.
How Granite Countertop Sealer Works

I know I dont want that crap in MY kitchen!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I've lived in two homes with granite; I hate it and would never buy it. The worst is high-polished black granite. It has to be cleaned multiple times daily because water leaves spots. Every crumb shows up like it has a spotlight on it. And I agree with kshe95girl that I don't want to be messing around with the products necessary to clean and seal it.

Just the other day I wrote about my friend who had the granite in her custom home crack after she left a crock pot on it. She had professionals in to repair the crack, but it is still quite visible. She paid a fortune for the stuff and is very sorry she bought it. I know granite is still the most popular countertop product, especially among first-time home buyers, but I don't know very many people who actually COOK who like it. Look at chef's own kitchens in magazines. They rarely have it. It's a "for-show" product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House