Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times

Advertisements

Do you find that Home Depot and Lowes are more or less expensive for counter tops then a store that specializes in them?

Also, leaning towards silestone but not crazy about the speckle patterns. Any complaints about silestone? I prefer the granite patterns with the long lines but even on the granite there seems to be limited color choices for that. Granite is so expensive and I don't even see them using it much on HGTV make overs. They mostly use some type of quartz so I'm assuming that is good quality. Would appreciate opinions, thx.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 02:42 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
Why don't you get quotes for the Silestone of your choice and installation? That way you can compare apples to apples.

I have the Amarillo Palmira and have never regretted having it installed. It is virtually indestructible and has an antibacterial product in it. Silestone Antibacterial (http://www.silestone.com/international/antibacterias.asp - broken link)

There is absolutely no maintenance. I never have to seal the product. It has never scratched on me either. The one thing that you have to be careful is that the surface is very hard. I broke several pieces of stemware when I first had it installed because this stuff is hard! For those that are concerned about radon gas emitting from granite - Silestone is a quartz product and does have any radon gas levels.

Silestone also has solid colors too. Silestone Quartz :: A Cleaner Safer Countertop

There is another quartz product too. Caesarstone Quartz Countertops | Quartz Countertops for Kitchen Counters, Bathroom Vanities

Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,933 times
Your local independent shop will most likely be less expensive than HD/Lowes. The reason is because HD/Lowes subcontracts that work out to the local shop, and by the time they add their own markup, you end up paying more.

But you should price-shop for yourself. Make sure you know what is being included in the quotes you get (e.g. demolition/removal of old countertops, a new sink, certain edge profiles, etc). Don't focus only on the price per sqft because the lowest sqft cost may not include some of those 'extras'.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
If you like granite, look for a local granite shop in your area. I found that the granite shops have a much better selection than the big box stores and their prices are better too. Both times we did granite - bath and kitchen, I was able to pick out my own slab.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Corian also has solid colors. In fact, once when I looked, the prices per foot of the solids were less expensive than the patterns. I prefer Silestone over Corian, but Corian is a bit less pricey. They were kind of the pioneers of solid surface but since then they've been supplanted as market leader, so maybe that's why. It's a useful, virtually maintenance-free product though, so it's still a good choice. I'd stay away from the molded sinks, though. I've seen some that for whatever reason haven't held up as well as the counters.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
The big box stores will always be more expensive and have less choices then the small shops. Always. Since granite is a natural product there will be limited choices of colors and grain patterns. Man made products like solid surface will have several hundred to several thousand color choices. Solid surface is Corian and Silestone. Silestone is a superior product which is far more advanced in technology then Corian which Dupont invented back around 82 or so.

Silestone is a tad more costly then Corian but both these products cost more then granite. Granite is dying in popularity despite what Realtors will tell you. The new generation of countertop materials will overtake granite soon but I feel granite will never disappear from our kitchens. It's still a great product though I don't like it. The future is going to be decorative cement. It's already growing quickly and will grow quicker when the price comes down

Don't buy anything from the big orange who only wants your little green. If you want to know more then don't listen to me. Google their name followed by complaints and your computer screen will light up the night sky.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks for all the info.., very helpful.

desrtsun41, I'm a Realtor and never say granite is all that. Either the house has it or it doesn't but 99% of people I show houses to want it. I really don't, I would prefer the silestone and it's less expensive not more expensive than granite. I went to several stores and granite was more expensive in every one of them.

I just can't find a pattern I like. I looked at the links provided in another post and still didn't like any of them. They seem to busy to me and I don't like the plain colors either. I guess I'm being a pain but I prefer the marble type of look but want it in the silestone.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 AM

733 posts, read 4,653,620 times
Quartz countertops manufactured in the USA [the only domestic manufacturer] - Cambria - Superior Stone Surfaces

Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
... I would prefer the silestone and it's less expensive not more expensive than granite.
No, it's more expensive. These days, a lot of granite is prefabricated into 2'x8' or 2'x9' slabs already and can be had for under $200. Here in SoCal, I've even seen slabs go for under $90 ... which is about the same price of what prefabricated laminate goes for.

As for Corian ... 1967 is when it came out. It didn't get more popular until the 80's, however.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
No, it's more expensive. These days, a lot of granite is prefabricated into 2'x8' or 2'x9' slabs already and can be had for under $200. Here in SoCal, I've even seen slabs go for under $90 ... which is about the same price of what prefabricated laminate goes for.

As for Corian ... 1967 is when it came out. It didn't get more popular until the 80's, however.
In HD near me it's the opposite but I don't know in the smaller shops the prices. The granite was $10 more per sq ft then the silestone which I think is a hugh difference. I have to go shop around and compare prices but at HD granite was the most expensive counter top offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House