Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:53 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,902 times

Advertisements

I'm used to using bleach to get rid of the black mold on the counter tops for the kitchen and bath, especially for the corners that traps water and creates bacteria black mold, but I heard that I can not use bleach? what about using things like Ajax power? and can I use bleach for the tub? I know I can use it for tiolets...thanks.

if I can not use bleach, what to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I'm used to using bleach to get rid of the black mold on the counter tops for the kitchen and bath, especially for the corners that traps water and creates bacteria black mold, but I heard that I can not use bleach? what about using things like Ajax power? and can I use bleach for the tub? I know I can use it for tiolets...thanks.

if I can not use bleach, what to use?
How on earth can mold get on countertops unless water puddles are left there for weeks or even months? Excess water should always be wiped up.

Bleach !!!!! YIKES !!!

Bleach has a higher PH then a car battery acid yet people put it in their washing machine and wear the cloths. How awful but the ads on TV say its ok so be my guest.

NEVER NEVER NEVER put bleach on your countertops !!! NEVER EVER cut food on your countertops, ESPECIALLY granite. Granite is pouris. That means if you cut raw chicken on that granite and then cut lettuce on it you just did what they call cross contamination. In plain words, you just fed your kids salmonella.

There is never a need for bleach to be in any of our homes despite what the TV ads and Clorox says. It is thee most dangerous chemical in your home. Even more dangerous then a gas can in the garage.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Well you will find that even hospitals use a mix of bleach to water at 10% to kill germs as it has been shown to kill viruses even the aids virus.The secret to using bleach is that it has to have water so that the mold will absorb the bleach;otherwise with straight bleach the mold will release spores to defend itself. Most cleaners to kill germs rely on bleach to kill the germs if not other stronger chemicals.Mold has two components to grow moisture and dirt. There are all kinds of mold and usual the dangerous kind are a result of a constant leak on a fibrous material over a extended time.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:40 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Bleach has a higher PH then a car battery acid yet people put it in their washing machine and wear the cloths. How awful but the ads on TV say its ok so be my guest.
Actually, bleach has a lower pH. The higher the pH, the more caustic. Bleach is acidic. Bleach also does not remain in clothes when cleaned and dried (no residual). Chlorine in its natural form is a gas and prefers to remain that way. It offgasses out of solution very quickly especially when agitated and put through a drier. That is why you smell chlorine around pools, it is offgassing. Some chemicals are useful, bleach is probably one of the safest to use for disinfection purposes though some environmental issues do arise from by-products when used at wastewater treatment plants.

If you were talking about marble countertops, I would be alot more hesitant as bleach would tend to etch them causing all sorts of problems down the line. Granite is more resilient for the most part, but depends strongly on the type of granite. You should be ok if you use a dilute solution of bleach in water. A 1 part bleach to 10 parts water ratio is sufficient for disinfection. Adding a little Dawn detergeant (the blue one w/no additives) to it would help the surfactant level for cleaning purposes. There is a pssobility that the bleach could damage any sealers that have been used on the granite, so be prepared to reseal the granite after a thorough cleaning. Absolutely, do not use any abrasives. For daily cleaning, I would recommend that you use Dawn detergeant and water.

Bleach should be no problem for a porcelain toilet bowl but do not put it in the upper tank as it may damage rubber fittings over time. The length of time depends on concentration. It will also have an effect on grout over time, but it would be along time.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Actually, bleach has a lower pH. The higher the pH, the more caustic. Bleach is acidic. Bleach also does not remain in clothes when cleaned and dried (no residual). Chlorine in its natural form is a gas and prefers to remain that way. It offgasses out of solution very quickly especially when agitated and put through a drier. That is why you smell chlorine around pools, it is offgassing. Some chemicals are useful, bleach is probably one of the safest to use for disinfection purposes though some environmental issues do arise from by-products when used at wastewater treatment plants.

If you were talking about marble countertops, I would be alot more hesitant as bleach would tend to etch them causing all sorts of problems down the line. Granite is more resilient for the most part, but depends strongly on the type of granite. You should be ok if you use a dilute solution of bleach in water. A 1 part bleach to 10 parts water ratio is sufficient for disinfection. Adding a little Dawn detergeant (the blue one w/no additives) to it would help the surfactant level for cleaning purposes. There is a pssobility that the bleach could damage any sealers that have been used on the granite, so be prepared to reseal the granite after a thorough cleaning. Absolutely, do not use any abrasives. For daily cleaning, I would recommend that you use Dawn detergeant and water.

Bleach should be no problem for a porcelain toilet bowl but do not put it in the upper tank as it may damage rubber fittings over time. The length of time depends on concentration. It will also have an effect on grout over time, but it would be along time.
Yikes !! Yes you caught me. I said the opposite on the PH. Some times I try and write faster then my fingers can go.

I dont competely agree with you using bleech on cloths. Your not wrong either. I just dont believe in using harsh chemicals on or near my skin. That certianly includes perfumes, perfume detergents and all soap. Nothing is worse then using soap on your skin. Soap, all soap washes off the acid mantle from your skin surface leaving you more susceptible to silly little colds, flus and other germs. Humans should be using a NON-soap cleansing bar. The only 2 I know of re Aveno and Shaklee.

By the way....good description on the chlorine gas from the pool ! I learned something.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
First off, not all stone countertops are granite and not all "granite" is porous. To test this, place a drop of water, a drop of oil and a drop of lemon juice in a hidden area of the counter or piece of scrap. After a period of time, wipe each spot off. If you can see a mark left, then your counter is porous and should be sealed (note: if the counter was sealed, sometimes you'll see a reaction with the sealer, not the stone). If there were no marks left, you can use just about any non-abrasive cleaner. I'd stick to one formulated for stone to be safe and you can get disinfectant cleaners for stone. Just about any cleaner will kill germs and mold. The secret is to leave it in contact long enough (even disinfectant cleaners require time to work), and then drying completely.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Being porous is not the same as marring a surface finish (polish). A strong acid or even a weak acid over time can etch stone resulting eventually in a dull finish and tendancy to collect dirt. The lime content of marble makes it especially susceptable but other stones can be damaged as well. The damage is usually in the microscopic range but becomes apparent to the eye as a dullness to the finish.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM

522 posts, read 1,584,627 times
Default No Bleach

I was told not to use anything on my granite except soap and water. I still use that method but have also found 409 granite cleaner and I love it. I've never had mold on my granite but never use bleach or Ajax as that would scratch the surface. Try the soap/dish detergent and water.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 20,641 times
Bleach is an alkali with a very high PH, acids have low PH.

Might be best to start this thread again..

Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,800 times
I use a product called Stone Tech Revitalizer for my counters.

It's $14.99 for a bottle through Amazon: Amazon - Stone Tech Revitalizer

My granite installer gave us a small bottle as a sample to try when we got our counters installed, and it worked very well. It's basically works like windex, but it's safe to use on natural stone. Our installer recommended it and we had no complaints. The little sample bottle lasted me a long time, so I figure this bottle should last me a year or two. I generally clean with water only, then will use the cleaning solution 1-2x a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House