Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 04:37 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times

Advertisements

I really dislike stainless steel appliances. So many of the houses I looked at had them. My realtor was shocked that I didn't like them. Thankfully the house that chose me does not have stainless steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 02:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The problem is that since so many people are demanding them, we all buy stainless steel because we will eventually sell. I have always hated white, except in the laundry room where no one ever sees the washer, drier and freezer but us. When we bough the stove, refrigerator and dishwasher we liked the Slate and Black Stainless better than Stainless, but we are selling when we retire in a year or two, and those newer colors have not caught on. Now our next house will be our last, and we don't care about anyone else so if anything needs replacing we'll get what we like.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem is that since so many people are demanding them, we all buy stainless steel because we will eventually sell. I have always hated white, except in the laundry room where no one ever sees the washer, drier and freezer but us. When we bough the stove, refrigerator and dishwasher we liked the Slate and Black Stainless better than Stainless, but we are selling when we retire in a year or two, and those newer colors have not caught on. Now our next house will be our last, and we don't care about anyone else so if anything needs replacing we'll get what we like.

Not everyone.

I prefer white appliances and don't care what sells.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:44 AM

4,839 posts, read 3,264,426 times
I don't like SS becuase it looks dirty the first time somebody touches it. But all cleaned up it looks better than anything else 'mainstream' to me... so that's what we have.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:47 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Depends on the style of the house. Ultra modern? SS is fine.

I personally prefer built in cabinet face for fridge and DW.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:42 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
The house I am in now came with stainless steel. I'm not fond of it because it is so difficult to keep clean. I would prefer white and I really like the bisque color that doesn't appear to be made any more.

I do not think that stainless looks bad and it is so common that it no longer reads as "industrial". I just don't like the extra upkeep.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:00 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Stainless reminds me of the diners in the 1950s where you got a hamburger for 25 cents. Cheeseburger was 35 cents.

We have replaced all the appliances in our condo and they are white.

All the fads run their course. Have you see any avocado appliances lately? they were once high style.

No shag carpets or pink bath fixtures either.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:06 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,708 times
Black stainless/carbon fiber is what I did with our new kitchen. It looks flawless

Old 07-05-2022, 12:28 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Sometimes I wonder at those that have a hard time keeping stainless clean. They'd have just as much problem with black or white appliances, I think. For me, it takes about 10 seconds with a wet wipe every couple days to keep it looking new. We have an executive chef in the house as a roommate, and while he makes wonderful food, he makes a mess and it's sooooo easy to clean up the SS appliances (especially around the handles).

I like how the stainless picks up and reflects the wood tones around it, too. My kitchen's not big or perfect, but it illustrates the point.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sometimes I wonder at those that have a hard time keeping stainless clean. They'd have just as much problem with black or white appliances, I think. For me, it takes about 10 seconds with a wet wipe every couple days to keep it looking new. We have an executive chef in the house as a roommate, and while he makes wonderful food, he makes a mess and it's sooooo easy to clean up the SS appliances (especially around the handles).

I like how the stainless picks up and reflects the wood tones around it, too. My kitchen's not big or perfect, but it illustrates the point.

Well it takes all kinds. That kitchen would be a horror for me. Not meaning to offend. I dislike dark rooms and that kitchen is very dark. Stainless steel and black appliances are dark. And constantly in your face. White appliances reflect light and sit back and stay where they belong, not constantly feeling like they are jumping out at you.

When I was house hunting I looked at so many horrible kitchens: stainless steel or black appliances. UGH! Especially in a galley style!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House