Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,850,433 times

Advertisements

My over the range microwave died yesterday, looks to be the magnatron and the appliance is 9 years old. I plan to replace it right away.

My dishwasher is showing a lot of wear and may need replacing in the near future. The flattop range and side-by-side refrigerator is OK for now.

All are white. I had planned to do a light upgrade to the kitchen in the near future, possibly just the counter tops to a granite type.

Since I need a microwave now, should I go with SS or just stick with white? Is SS just a fad?

I won't be able to afford the other appliances to at least next year. So it may be odd having an SS microwave and dishwasher next to to the white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
What do you like? That's all that matters.

If you like white, go with it and don't worry about fads or what other people like.

Never lose sight of the fact that it's your house!!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,896,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What do you like? That's all that matters.

If you like white, go with it and don't worry about fads or what other people like.

Never lose sight of the fact that it's your house!!
I completely agree....(to the OP) as long as your not planning on selling any time soon, do what YOU want. It's your home!

That said, I don't think SS is a fad.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,060,425 times
TRUE stainless steel is hard to find and very expensive. Most appliances out there that claim to be stainless steel, are actually stainless steel look. And you can thank God for that as well since stainless steel easily scratches and is very prone to smudges and VERY difficult to clean since you always have to clean it to make it look nice. If you want stainless steel, make sure to get SS loook...NOT the real deal. Good luck !

Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,990,022 times
Since the rest of your appliances are white, stick with white. Granite and SS has become so commonplace that it's nothing special anymore.

As for living with the mismatch ... for a while, I had a stainless dishwasher, a black stove, and a white fridge. Then I got a white dishwasher and white stove to match, since it was the cheapest route ... then the fridge died, and the cheapest route was a stainless fridge (22cu. ft., never-plugged-in floor sample with full warranty, for $350). I gave up on the matching game after that.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,321,894 times
I like the look of SS, but hate the cleaning. We usually opt for a Satina finish...Looks like SS but much easier to take care of.
that being said...right now we have white appliances in our new home and I must say I find it a bit refreshing...Has a nice clean look to it. we plan on doing our kitchen in a few years and we'll see...I often like black with granite countertops...
Do what you like UNLESS you plan on selling anytime soon and then I would say go with SS.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 AM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
your house, your taste, do what you want to look at.

Do not worry about when you might be selling (if ever) , trust me, I learned the hard way.
Worring about what I thought the next owner would want, hence 20 years later....LOL

Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 AM

128 posts, read 639,439 times
Whatever you get, it's important to get all your appliances from the same manufacturer or they probably won't match. I have all GE "stainless" in my kitchen and they are very easy to keep looking good.

I had another brand in my last house and they were pint magnets.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,348,703 times
I echo those who have said "go with what you like." Most of us spend a lot of our time in the kitchen and your kitchen should be a place that appeals to you.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
As for living with the mismatch ... for a while, I had a stainless dishwasher, a black stove, and a white fridge.
I've got a white stove, a black dishwasher, and an almond fridge. What the previous owner of the home was thinking I'll never know (I have more important bones than that to pick with him/her! LOL). Probably the same thing as you: getting the most for your money.

My next appliance to die will probably be the fridge. I still haven't decided to go with white or black yet -- I waffle from day to day, so it'll be interesting to see whether it's a black or white day when it's time to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House