Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,848,884 times

Advertisements

Our house has white euro cabinets, black granite counters with chiseled edges to break up the clean lines of the cabs, black cooktop (to match counters), and white appliances to melt into the cabinets. We HATE stainless appliance look...

I think with wood cabinets (wood colors/stains) stainless might be best, but with white or black kitchens, I REALLY see no reason why you would feel you HAD to do stainless over black or white appliances...but to each their own, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,274,282 times
I used to hate stainless (looked too industrial, as others have said) and wanted black appliances for our next house (if this one will ever sale), but now it's grown on me and I actually like it.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,189,661 times
You are not alone...I hate the stuff

Old 07-20-2008, 02:18 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,139,912 times
Oh...this is our ONLY kitchen battle between my husband and I. I wish he would just let me have my way already! I dont like stainless, he does. We live in an old home and I dont want it and thinks its "all the rave". My house is NOT all the rave, 120 years old, like I said on another post, I dont want the kitchen to stand out...I want it to blend. Finding cabinets was hard enough. He will probably win though since I have had my say on most everything else. I hope we can make it work though.

Also, I have a friend who used olive oil on her stuff..lightly to buff out all the hand prints, so the lemon oil is good info to see.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:11 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,434,177 times
I love the look of stainless appliances but they definitely get smudged easily. My kids are grown, the smudges are hubbys!! Not too sure how much I'd love them if I had young kids; I think they'd be a challenge to keep clean. Anifani, I'm going to try the Weman's lemon oil you suggested! Thanks!

My countertops are stone, but Cambria Stone (quartz). They look great and are so easy to keep clean. They don't need to be treated yearly like granite.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:23 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,266,951 times
In our last house we had stainless, and I hated it! It was virtually impossible to keep clean.

When we built this house last fall, I went with sleek black - I am much happier!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,353,097 times
I don't care for stainless steel, had sinks that dented, were difficult to clean, never look "as good as new" after using! Will never purchase stainless steel appliance because the design people say it's in, it will be out in 5 years anyway. I go with consumer reports recommendations, looking for maintainace costs and ease of care, and what I like. The LIBRARY always has it on the shelves. Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,303,611 times
I don't like stainless either... but I'm an old-house fan, I much prefer a vintage kitchen feel. Stainless would make no sense (to me) in my 93 year old cottage. I prefer white. Yeah, it gets dirty but I like the look better. I also cannot stand granite countertops.

My kitchen is a crazy mismatch but when I get the money to do it my way it will be white appliances and real linoleum on the floor and hex tile counters, subway tile backsplash. Currently I have a white dishwasher, almond fridge, the stove is a stainless and black combo (and the PO's bought it in Mexico, so it's all in Celsius) with UT ORANGE formica countertops!!

Nothing grosses me out more than using a public restroom with stainless steel doors and wall partitions and touching one that has that oily film on it. Ick! It just seems so dirty.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:22 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgardener View Post
We also hate stainless and it took us a while to find a good alternative. If you like vintage/ farmhouse check out AGA. Very high quality and very not stainless. You can get good prices through direct buy on them.
Sorry, what's AGA?

Old 07-20-2008, 05:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Oh...this is our ONLY kitchen battle between my husband and I. I wish he would just let me have my way already! I dont like stainless, he does. We live in an old home and I dont want it and thinks its "all the rave". My house is NOT all the rave, 120 years old, like I said on another post, I dont want the kitchen to stand out...I want it to blend.
I'm with you. All the choices in a house have to match its style. I also think stainless steel would look ridiculous in such an old house.

Your post reminds me of a house I saw on the market here once. It was a contemporary house in a newish cookie-cut subdivision while the interior was Southwestern... I mean heavy-duty Southwestern. It looked plain stupid. If the owners liked this look they should've bought an appropriate house. And there certainly isn't any shortage of those around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House