Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,935 times

Advertisements

Stainless for me all the way...can't wait to get my hands on it for the new home. I don't care if it goes out or not...as keeping up with the jones is less than important to me. I personally think it's timeless just like granite. In other words those looks can't get much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:28 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,841 times
We like ours, but our SS range has a black top. I will never ever ever have another gas cooktop that is anything other than black! They stain and never come clean. It isn't extremely industrial looking...has a black handle...and the dishwater also has a black panel in it. I like the look of stainless next to our white cabinets.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM

635 posts, read 3,093,713 times
I didn't read all 6 pages of responses, but I think the question(and answer) is similar to the one often posed regarding granite counter tops, and most recently discussed here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...fad-whats.html

Bottom line, faddish or not, most material/design choices have their roots somewhere in an appropriate application that made sense... and eventually culminated in a "fad" once people took note of the success that application presented. But over time the application became overexposed and perhaps even misapplied, and then the eventual backlash occurred.

However, I think that if one stays true to the appropriate application of a design/material to what makes sense, and matches aesthetically to say.... the whole house..... it is much less likely that specific example will come across as "faddish" and instead will just look and feel "right".

Conversely, when someone puts a style/design that is anachronistic or just an odd fit into an established overall design aesthetic, it tends to jump out and say "I'm dated" in a few years once the fad has passed.

Just look at any "uber 1980s" kitchen with beige 4x4 tile counters installed in an old bungalow to know what I'm talking about.

I don't mind SS appliances, but I do think they've been overexposed in the last decade, and as such will be "dated" to the late 90s and early 21st century when we look back.... for good or ill

Al

P.S.

Although I will say that the SS appliances that will likely stand the test of time from an aesthetic are probably going to be the true commercial grade equipment moreso than reskinned residential models.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 859 times
In ”For Sale” houses, realtors always extol the presence of stainless steel appliances. I do not like them. In a black and white kitchen, they are like big gray whales that suck the light out of the room, whereas white appliances blend in to the 'look' AND extend the light. Furthermore, brown cabinetry does not go with gray appliances--CLASH. It's almost as if the stainless steel industry in in league with realtors. I must have white appliances for an even, reassuring, sublime look.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:06 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,069,471 times
I love stainless, and would never choose black. But you need to be happy in your kitchen. I would never want your appliances though if I purchased your home. I would tell you to take them with you so I don’t have to dispose of them.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:31 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
I don't hate stainless. It looks good in the appropriate kitchen, especially a sleek, modern one. However, it would look totally out of place in a vintage kitchen like mine, which has the original 1959 white-painted oak cabinets, built-in china display, and vintage vinyl floor. I knew when I saw the listing pictures that my restored 1953 Wedgwood stove in red and white would look perfect in the kitchen, and it does.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Wow, way to bring back a thread from 2008! Someone was really searching...

Old 06-28-2022, 07:36 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
I know stainless appliances are all the rage right now, but I do not like the look of them at all. They look too industrial to me and I prefer the look of black applicnaces. We are building a house in 2 years and all these design shows say stainless will go out of style but will it really? We don't plan on moving out of our new house, but you never know what can happen in life so I want to make good re-sale decisions just in case.

thanks!

Well, it's now fourteen years later and stainless-steel appliances are still popular.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Well, it's now fourteen years later and stainless-steel appliances are still popular.
That certainly says something about how many people like them!

Old 06-28-2022, 02:56 PM

23,325 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
And many people still hate them for the same reasons! My current house was outfitted with the typical suite of stainless available from the nearest HD. It is functional and new enough that replacing all of it doesn't make much sense. If/when the things start failing, I won't replace it with more stainless. In the meantime, I just need to work a little harder to keep my seek and destroy fingerprint tendencies in check .

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2022 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House