Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,267,364 times

Advertisements

All of my bathrooms and the kitchen. We have an old house and none of the bathrooms have been upgraded since the 50's and the kitchen is the size of a postage stamp! We even have the beautiful pink, grey, baby blue and peach tile from the 50's.

If I wait long enough, maybe they will be in style again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 02:01 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
I'd rip off my mudroom addition and rebuild it to provide more storage and a full bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
We have an old house and none of the bathrooms have been upgraded since the 50's
No need to wait. Retro is in! Unless the original tile is in bad shape, removing it wouldn't be an upgrade, it would be a crime!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,897,170 times
The best return for your money is kitchen and bathroom upgrades. Make sure you get granite counter tops. Wood floors are much more popular than carpet, other than in the bedrooms.
Someone suggested wiring for ceiling fans in every room. good idea. Extra phone jacks are so neccessary anymore, with several phones operating from a central jack.
Lots of good suggestions in here. take your time and make good decisions

Old 05-09-2008, 02:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,194,958 times
This isn't necessarily an upgrade to the home, but once my perfectly functional traditional kitchen fridge goes (probably not for a while, though), I'll definitely get another bottom freezer fridge again. Loved it in my last house!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM

271 posts, read 1,062,024 times
Thanx everyone for your suggestions and input.

I have an appointment for next week with the home design studio for my upgrades......let's see how far my 30k goes. here's the list that i've got made out on the things i want in order of preference...... will be interesting to see how many i can actually get.

ceiling fan wiring.....all rooms
surround sound wiring......living room
extra electrical outlets throught house

Mater bath......jetted tub, double vanity, tile flooring, walls and shower.

Carpet.........padding upgrade only

kitchen...........cabinets, tile floor, granite countertops.

i know, i know, wishfull thinking on my part that i can get all of these.

i know i won't have enough for the kitchen, i just still don't know which i should upgrade........lets say i upgrade the cabinets, so now i have nice cabinets.......but i have linoleum floors.......or should i have nice tile floor and standard cabinets.

I have to try and do as much as i can now, cus i know once we're in the house we will not upgrade anything.........according to my boyfriend "too much of a hassle"

Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,040,827 times
ya know, it never fails that a lot of the houses that I do design work for have fabulous kitchens, and the owners dont cook! Trophy kitchens? I love to cook, I would do my kitchen! I just put in new floors in my house, so I am eyeballing the kitchen.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,456,928 times
Default Additional landscaping

I'd love to sink some money in the yard.

For starters, I'd have a pergola built on the back porch -- with a Southern exposure, and a stamped concrete decking, it gets h-o-t in the summer. I'd have some planters built along the outer stretch of the upper deck, and plant something deciduous, perhaps mandevilla.

I'd love to do a low, brick wall with a short wrought-iron fence atop it -- very traditional, in-keeping with this very traditional Georgian house. Because I sit on a corner, I would pull up about 3/4 of the lawn on the side of the house, and do mass plantings of azaleas -- the lovely big formosas. Just in front of the azaleas, I'd plant perennials.

When I sit in the yard, and daydream about winning the lottery, these are the things I imagine I'd love to do to the house.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,797,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressoo View Post
For the kitchen, upgrade the cabinets now. It's costly later since it's all custom order to fit. Upgrading the counter-top is fairly simple since most of it is precut and just installed on-site.
I think I've got to agree with this suggestion. Changing cabinet sizes & style down the road affects the floor as well. By the time you completely recover from sticker shock of closing & catch up on furnishings, you'll be approaching the seen better days shelf life out of the cheapo countertops.
Should you see no reason the kitchen floorplan would need rearrangement, might as well lock in high end cabinetry. It's like a classic black dress that goes anywhere.

Who knows, maybe a better quality and/or style countertop will have developed by then?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,040,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think I've got to agree with this suggestion. Changing cabinet sizes & style down the road affects the floor as well. By the time you completely recover from sticker shock of closing & catch up on furnishings, you'll be approaching the seen better days shelf life out of the cheapo countertops.
Should you see no reason the kitchen floorplan would need rearrangement, might as well lock in high end cabinetry. It's like a classic black dress that goes anywhere.

Who knows, maybe a better quality and/or style countertop will have developed by then?
excellent suggestion, and one most folks dont think about, cabinets are kinda a forever thing, unless you want to redo the floor as well........this is kind of an out of the box suggestion for countertops, but think about concrete. I have done a few houses with them. They can be tinted any color, are much cheaper than granite, dont have to be sealed at least twice a year like granite, and can be formed into more shapes than granite....... just a suggestion...... I am thinking about myself. I wanted marble, but thats worse than granite, my next choice was zinc, but thats more, too........ just my luck, my taste always exceeds my budget.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,194,958 times
Done right, and concrete countertops can be beautiful.

My husband tried it out after buying the book by (Cheng?). We even went to his showroom outside of San Francisco, his stuff was great.

Anyhow, DH did our island in concrete. For a first-time attempt, it didn't turn out half bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House