Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,615,987 times

Advertisements

The paint in my house... it's builders' grade paint and it sucks! The touch ups simply don't match. I did not expect to be repainting our entire new house, but here we are doing it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Hard tile instead of vinyl. More wood instead of carpet. We always said we'd upgrade later, but later never seems to come.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,266,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse View Post
If I Could....I would up-grade my wife.
LOL! That made me laugh

Old 05-08-2008, 07:45 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,266,951 times
A bigger shower in the master bath.

We have this huge bathroom with big tub, and a dinky shower. Aside from my 2-year old who likes to swim in our tub, the thing never gets used, so a nice big shower would be very nice.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM

271 posts, read 1,062,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Ditto on the heated garage... I'd love a BIGGER garage... but we already have 3.5 car ... heck ... wish we had 2 garages.

a bigger shower in the Master.

Question -- are you building or doing construction on an existing home?

Buying new construction home and i have $30,000 to spend on upgrades, there's so much i want to upgrade, but 30k doesn't stretch very far. Trying to get other people's input on what's worth upgrading.

I'm definately upgrading the master bath, to jetted tub and seperate shower with seperate double vanities.

Not sure about the kitchen, either upgrade counters or cabinetry, don't think i have enough for both, as i would also like tile floors and upgraded carpet padding.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM

27,366 posts, read 27,418,399 times
In my own house, which someday Im going to help build somewhere in S. Dakota or Oklahoma, there's going to be a wood burning stove for heat. Hey, who says dreams cant happen?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 AM

622 posts, read 3,114,192 times
Insulation. Specifically spray foam. That will allow you to install a smaller HVAC system as well.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,781,581 times
Fresno -- ours was a new home also. trying to keep the over all house price down, we upgraded things that would be harder to do once the house was built. [not sure if "harder" is the right word.... possibly less of a PITA]

anyhooo -- we did all oak trim, -- that included 6 panel oak doors [instead of that cheap fake white wood stuff] Oak sills and trim, oak railing instead of drywall.... Stonite counters instead of formica, Firepalce and whirl pool tub [good selling features... but we do use them] Upgraded wiring [ceiling fans in all rooms, cable & phone jacks in all rooms, data port in the loft, wired for surround sound]

OH yea... and 36" Oak cabinets instead of 30". I know many upgraded to 42" ... but we didnt.

I think we kept our upgrades to around 25k [most of that being the Oak] but that was 7 yrs ago.

My neighbor actually 'downgraded' certain things to keep the costs down, then upgraded other things, like the 42" cherry cabs.

He did vinyl floors, knowing he was gonna tear them out and put in Laminate and tile in the baths. Formica - as he's going to [eventually] put in granite, stuff like that.

Hopefully are are still at the stage when you can make these certain changes.

Good Luck and Have Fun building your home.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 AM

112 posts, read 852,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochick View Post
I'm definately upgrading the master bath, to jetted tub and seperate shower with seperate double vanities.

Not sure about the kitchen, either upgrade counters or cabinetry, don't think i have enough for both, as i would also like tile floors and upgraded carpet padding.
For the master bath, I'd get taller vanities and upgrade the wall tiles. Depending on how much you plan to use the jets in the tub, that might be a questionable upgrade since it's often expensive. Of course if you plan to put the tub to good use, now is the best time to do it.

For the kitchen, upgrade the cabinets now. It's costly later since it's all custom order to fit. Upgrading the counter-top is fairly simple since most of it is precut and just installed on-site.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 PM

502 posts, read 1,737,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochick View Post
If you could upgrade one thing in your house, what would it be and why?
I have an 1100 sq ft ranch, so not a lot of space for minor upgrades. I would like to expand the bath and if money was free would expand out about 6 feet with a very large tub/shower unit. I would also remove the bulkhead and replace with a "doghouse" unit with a door to basement and a storage area for gardening supplies.

We have redone all the floors and finished the basement. The basement is now 800 sq ft of gameroom with pool table, air hockey, video games, etc.

I would love a woodstove, but the wife refuses. She hated growing up with a wood stove - didn't like the bugs and dirt.

The only other addition would be another two car garage. Just isn't enough room in ours for cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, mowers, snowblowers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House