Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 108,262 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved into a house without a functioning stove so we bought a gas range, had it converted to LP, and plan on running it off a small, grill-sized propane tank inside the house, in a ventilated cabinet in the kitchen. I have read the warnings associated with doing this, and am aware of the danger, but the alternative (running a line through the attic from the waterheater outside the house--no line in the kitchen) is too costly for us. Now, if we get everything installed safely and correctly, test for leaks, and only turn it on when we use the stove, is this still a horribly dangerous plan? Are we building our own death-trap?

It's very important that we do this correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
I hear they have this new fangled invention called an "Electric Range".

It works real good for folks who don't have gas or who don't want to chop wood.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 108,262 times
the house had an electric range that burnt itself out; we considered getting another, but there are wiring issues.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Don't jury rig with gas. The warnings are there for a reason. A gas explosion is an awful way to go as is carbon monoxide poisoning.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:29 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,065 times
Thumbs up Don't mess with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malus View Post
My wife and I just moved into a house without a functioning stove so we bought a gas range, had it converted to LP, and plan on running it off a small, grill-sized propane tank inside the house, in a ventilated cabinet in the kitchen. I have read the warnings associated with doing this, and am aware of the danger, but the alternative (running a line through the attic from the waterheater outside the house--no line in the kitchen) is too costly for us. Now, if we get everything installed safely and correctly, test for leaks, and only turn it on when we use the stove, is this still a horribly dangerous plan? Are we building our own death-trap?

It's very important that we do this correctly.
If you have a fire your insurance company will get out of paying because you had a volatile flammable agent inside your home. Your plan is a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 PM

240 posts, read 470,694 times
You don't have a choice but to do it the right way. Never mickey mouse your house.
Call the electrician and have the wire issues corrected. Do the right thing, you and your family will be safe.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:38 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,195 times
I would recommend not doing this. If you decide to do so, you may get by with it for awhile and later on get complacent, thus putting you and your family at greater risk and possibly a potential disaster.

You stated that there are wiring issues with the house. This issue should be addressed immediately. You should contact an electrician and get those wiring issues resolved.

Think about this .. you presently have wiring issues with the house. Now you want to bring a propane tank into this house. Propane gas is heavier than air and will collect in low spots in your home. One of those low spots could have an ignition source just waiting for a fuel like propane. When to 2 get together, it's goodby family and house. Do your cooking outside for the time being or buy a microwave.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
Totally insane idea,do it right or not at all.Recipe for disaster.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
Quote:
so we bought a gas range, had it converted to LP, and plan on running it off a small, grill-sized propane tank inside the house, in a ventilated cabinet in the kitchen. I have read the warnings associated with doing this, and am aware of the danger

Apparently you're not aware of the dangers of doing this or else you wouldn't be making this post.

The only acceptable permament or semi-permanent location for a propane cylinder is outside the dwelling.

All propane cylinders have a pressure relief valve on them. If that relief valve activates, you're going to introduce a highly explosive gas into the confines of your kitchen.

Not safe and definitely not acceptable to any gas code I've ever come across.

You stress a couple of times in your post that it's important to do things correctly. That would entail having a certified line and regulator installed connecting an outside tank to your properly anchored stove.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,265 times
What you are proposing is a violation of National Fire Protection Association Standard 58 for liquefied petroluem gases, the International Fire Code, and the International Fire Code.

And its just dangerous. LP-Gas has an expansion ratio of about 265:1. You release 1 gallon of LPG indoors and it will create 38.4 cubic feet of vapor, which is more than sufficent fuel to cause injury, death or the partial collapse of the structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House