Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 AM

5 posts, read 108,365 times

Advertisements

Wow, I am surprised this was revived. Please read my post at the top of this page for a description of how my stove was set up. Read: the propane tank was not inside the house.

I am still alive, obviously. My wife and I took great precautions with our stove setup, only turning the gas on when we were using it and turning it off immediately afterwards. Everytime the stove was used we lighted all the pilots, including the one in the oven which hardly worked to ensure that gas was not leaking from them and into the house. Even if this had of happened, we would have had to leave them on for a very long time in order for the propane to pool around the floor at the rate it is expelled from the pilot jets. We were very very careful.
We have sinced moved abroad where we have (worry not) a properly installed gas range setup. We operated the stove setup in question for nearly 8 months with zero problems, all on the same BBQ grill sized tank. Zero leaks. We had a good regulator, and a good setup which I did myself and constantly checked.
I generally do not feel the need to defend my intelligence but I can assure everyone here that I subjected my method to the scientific process and it passed in our specific environment. We used this setup out of necessity, not laziness or ignorance. I can't say that it would work in all cases, and I do not recommend it, but it worked well for us for out purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 05:44 PM

613 posts, read 1,019,315 times
Nothing beats cooking with gas.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ever hear of Natural Selection?
Isn't that a new healthcare plan?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 14,285 times
This is not unusual at all in parts of rural Europe. The cylinders' there are sometime taller and a bit
more narrow, and my friends have run their very small oven and stovetop (like one in a trailer or
efficiency apt. off it for years with no problem. Just be sure to check it with heavily soaped water
at the connections for leaks on occasion, and cut it on and off with use. It will be fine. I swear,
so many "chicken littles" in this silly world. What if these folks had to really rough it?

Old 07-18-2015, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,367 times
How about if you piped the gas from outside? Natural gas stove convert to propane here...=)

Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
Thank you for posting this. I too was in a quandary about a similar set up. Just bought a cottage, during final walk through the seller made note of this fireplace in the master bedroom. Luckily my DIL was with me and noted that there was 20lb tank behind it. When asked about the safety of this, the seller said she had it there for 8 years without problem. However, on FB she was complaining about evil spirits choking her at night (carbon monoxide vs crazy as a bat). The comments to your post were most helpful - I wish you luck with your stove -- as for me I will have a line run from the outside tank or remove it all together and replace with an electric one.

Last edited by katpaws1; 10-30-2018 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,885,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Don't jury rig with gas. The warnings are there for a reason. A gas explosion is an awful way to go as is carbon monoxide poisoning.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,105,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katpaws1 View Post
Thank you for posting this. I too was in a quandary about a similar set up. Just bought a cottage, during final walk through the seller made note of this fireplace in the master bedroom. Luckily my DIL was with me and noted that there was 20lb tank behind it. When asked about the safety of this, the seller said she had it there for 8 years without problem. However, on FB she was complaining about evil spirits choking her at night (carbon monoxide vs crazy as a bat). The comments to your post were most helpful - I wish you luck with your stove -- as for me I will have a line run from the outside tank or remove it all together and replace with an electric one.

The original posting is from 10 years ago I suspect the OP is well past this by now. reading and using the information is good resurrecting long dead threads is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House