Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:36 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times

Advertisements

I need a new fiberglass front door.
Any suggestions on particular manufactures?

I saw Feather River at Home Depot. Don't know the quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
have you looked on Craigslist for a bargain?

Old 05-26-2013, 12:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
How about a nice classic wooden one as long as it's not exposed too much? They have different versions for each door like completely removable screen/glass.

These aren't the Home Depot versions so they aren't cheap, go with the 1 1/8 inch Douglas Fir.

CoppaWoodworking.com

I needed to match some existing screen doors on my house from the 50's and they had them.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Look at Therma-Tru. Got mine from a dealer, but Lowes has them too. I was told they are great quality at a decent price.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
No matter what brand you choose, and there are several really good ones, you need to stay away from the big orange or big blue who only wants your little green. They charge full list price or MSRP. That is sick.

You might get a better deal from a lumber yard but your best deal would be a door and window outlet center or door and window discount center. Wholesale outlet is another term you might see. But they will have the best price......no ifs ands or butts from anyone.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How about a nice classic wooden one as long as it's not exposed too much? They have different versions for each door like completely removable screen/glass.

These aren't the Home Depot versions so they aren't cheap, go with the 1 1/8 inch Douglas Fir.

CoppaWoodworking.com

I needed to match some existing screen doors on my house from the 50's and they had them.
I think the OP was talking Primary Door. 1 1/8" is for a storm/screen door.

I had a sales rep for one of the major door manufacturers tell me that the doors they make for the big box chains have more foam insulation in them. That is because they use a thinner skin material and narrower stiles and rails in the frame. Thus it takes more foam to fill in the spaces, leaving a less solid door.

Watch the discount and close out places too, as their stock may vary, depending on what is available, You may or may not pay a little more at your local building supply dealer/lumber yard, but your quality will be more consistent.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
The only time I'd even consider a f/glass door is covered, recessed, and north facing- otherwise it's foam core steel.

Maintenance on a f/glass door can be just as labor intensive as a mahogany door- and most people want little to no maintenance, (preceived) security, and a energy rating.

Not saying all those things are true or 100% correct- but it is a preceived value.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM

Depends on how it's finished. Ours faces southwest and while it is true that it is on a covered porch, it still gets some sun as well as blowing rain and snow. We had a quality finish put on it before we installed it about 5 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was installed. I wash it own a couple of times a year, even hitting it from a couple feet away with the pressure washer when I am washing down the brick.

No storm door on it. It was stained and then top-coated with automotive clear coat. Not exactly manufacturers recommendations, but they use the stuff on auto body parts with no problems.

Our other entry doors are foam filled steel and this one just has a warmer "feel" to it. I have no issues with the fiberglass. I sell quite a few of them, but usually only if the desired look is to resemble wood. Smooth, painted, I steer them to the steel for the cost difference.

Our church has smooth fiberglass, unprotected, painted red and facing south. We have to get those repainted every 4 or 5 years. Automotive paint, sprayed on holds up the best.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Default Manufacture

As the orig. poster, I need a fiberglass door (with storm door) due to climate change & termites here on L.I. NY

I went to Home Depot and Lowes. I picked out a Feather River Door at H.D. When I researched it at home, the reviews were horrific. I then picked our a ThermaTru which had great reviews, however...the "box stores" models are made of lesser quality. I then picked a Pella Door from Lowes, I am researching "there models".

I was told if my house faces the sun (which it does) I would need to seal the fiberglass (wood grain finish) every couple of years.

Sooooo Confussed on what to buy! I just might have to go to a building/lumber supply store to get the "real" product, rather than the "exclusive" models made for the box stores that seem to be lesser quality.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Be careful about putting a storm door over a fiberglass door, especially if the door faces the sun. Temperatures between the 2 doors, especially if they both fit properly, can reach well over 100 degrees on a sunny, winter day. That is one thing that is extremely hard on the fiberglass door and finish.

A good quality, well fitting, insulated fiberglass door generally doesn't need a storm door for additional insulation.

Our season changes here in NW Ohio are no less difficult than in Long Island.

You might want to review my suggestions earlier about finishing the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House