Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times

Advertisements

I am looking at houses and looked at one over the weekend that has me wondering. Which door do you use to enter your house?

The way this house is laid out, most people would enter from back door, as the driveway is in back. There is no walkway, sidewalk, etc to the front door. I didn't think this was too strange until I was describing it to a coworker, who went all weird about the front door....

the house has a nice front yard on a street with no sidewalks, it's 2 steps down from country/rural. Nice sized lots, not slammed up next to each other.

Does this sound weird to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
It all depends on the layout of the house, the lot, and the neighborhood.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
Yes! I've always wondered this. Back in the day- well, even before my day.... front doors were for family and guests and back/side door for servants/service...that means the milk man, cleaners, food delivery, etc.

Front doors and the walkway to them were just an extension of the home... a porch perhaps w/ a stone walkway....a picket fence w/ gate leading from the street.... slate or brick pavers w/ greenery.
And the side doors were just simple access, usually to the kitchen.

I still use this concept so when service people come- they know to come to the back door....and when guests come to call- they know to come to the front. All without me saying anything.

But how confusing it is to pull into a driveway and see 2 doors- and it looks as if the front door hasn't been used in YEARS....

it seems your described house was designed for the walkway to the front door but the builder/owner didn't want it put it...for whatever reason.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 AM

there is no possible way for anyone to enter the front porch/front door directly from the street in front of the house. there's a curve in the road, nowhere to park, so it makes sense to have the driveway and 'entrance" in the back.

Just wondered what others thought, since my coworker was so upset about this. Not sure why....

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I think your co-worker has too much time on his or her hands.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I think your co-worker has too much time on his or her hands.

hahahaha

she finds the strangest things to get bent out of shape over. I consider most of what she says just being her snobby self, but this made me wonder if others might find it weird too...

Growing up we had "front door friends" and "garage door friends". the closest ones came through the garage door, like family, the others rang the bell and entered through the front. I like the garage friends more

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM

432 posts, read 3,659,496 times
I will refrain from making an obvious joke.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
I'll do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k8Ig0hfguU

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Someone already mentioned, but it really depends on how the house and lot are set up. Ours - everyone except us uses the front door. We enter through the garage. To enter our house from the back you would need to walk down the driveway, across the lawn and up a set of stairs to the deck, then through the back door. It really just depends....

Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
It depends on who you are. We have eight doors to the oustide. At our house friends and family members usually come to the main back door. Pizza guy, salesmen, guests, etc come to the front door. THe kids tend to use a side door, or if they are wet or muddy the door into the basement. The dog mostly uses the doors that go into the sunroom where she sleeps. In the summer the back door into the pool area probably gets more use than the regualr back door. The door into the library does not function and is nailed shut, so it is just a glorified window for now. It does not get used at all.

We use all of the doors at times (except the one in the library). However, at my parents house, they ahve a front door, a slidgni door at the rear of the house and a "back" door at the side of the house. As far as I know, the front door was probably not opened 20 times in 40 plus years. There is no sidewalk going to the front, so the front door is really just a decoration. We used the sliding door at the back to get out quickly to chase an animal or something, but mostly we used the side door as did everyone else. IF people came to the front door, we would knock on a window and wave them around to the side/back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House