Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 07:20 PM

25 posts, read 126,084 times

Advertisements

We are moving within 2 weeks and I'd like to try and avoid the usual garage clutter. Its my 1st garage so I'd like to make it look nice and easy to use as a small workshop when cars are out. Anybody with some good ideas or pics would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,261 times
Our two car garage is used for everything under the sun:
1. lawn & garden tools
2. hubby's wood working table & tools
3. daughters toys
4. laundry room

I used cubicle bins to organize some of my daughters items along with huge plastic storage containers which stack nice/neat up against a wall. I have those plastic shelves (purchase at targe) which we use for paint brushes; sprinklers; lawn fertilizer; caulking and miscellaneous items.

The washer/dryer sit on the opposite wall but it is about 1 level higher than the actual garage floor and I have a shelf that extends from one end of the wall to the other, which is used to store the laundry detergent and all things laundry related.

Believe it or not, we still have room for 1 car. But when the garage is open, it's not an eyesore because everything has its' place

Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM

61 posts, read 268,172 times
We updated our garage with storage from GarageTek a couple years ago. Here are some before and after pics:
GarageTek Photo Gallery by Dan Wolf at pbase.com

One example:

It's a great system. The cabinets and shelves can be moved anywhere on the slotted walls. The flooring was 12 inch square plastic tiles (durable and fairly easy to clean). You can buy similar products through Lowe's and other home improvement stores, and there are several companies out there, like GarageTek, that will do this sort of thing.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Dan, great pics. Tell me more if you would about the floor. Did you do it yourself? Are they pieces you put down yourself and are you happy with the floor?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 AM

61 posts, read 268,172 times
Thanks. We had everything installed, but the flooring would be easy to do yourself. It took one guy about a day to install ours. Each differently colored square in the photo above is made up of four 12 inch tiles. The plastic tiles snap together. There is no glue or adhesives - the whole floor just "floats" (sits on top of the concrete). Once it's all snapped together, its weight keeps it from moving. The tiles have a textured top surface and a ribbed web underneath with a lot of little "feet", so water that gets under the tiles will drain (assuming the garage floor has a little slope to it). The tiles are very sturdy and take distributed weight well. Car/truck weight does not affect them, but I noticed that if I put my motorcycle on its center stand, the concentrated weight points would cause a small depression in the tiles. Oil and dirt cleaned up easily (I'd hose it down and mop it once or twice a year). The only problem we found with the tile material was when we spilled some polyurethane. We didn't notice the spill for a few days, so it had seeped underneath and warped the tiles. It just took a few minutes to pull them apart and snap in new ones. We were very happy with the floor. I loved the look of it, and its durability. I bought some dark gray concrete paint and painted the outer edge of the garage floor so the light concrete color didn't stand out (you can see that in the photo above, behind the bottom of the stairs - the vertical gray wall that rises about a couple feet off the floor).

We moved this year and left that garage behind, so I'm thinking of doing a similar thing myself in our new garage. Back when we had that one done, I priced the floor tiles through Lowe's and other stores, and I think they cost around $3 or $4 each. It costs more than the paint-on garage floor finishes, but I like how easy it is to put patterns in the floor and replace parts of it that get damaged.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I have a small (one-car) garage and a small (1,200 sq ft) house. My garage storage is pretty simple. Along one wall I have Steel Shelving (bought at Target.com) and on the opposite wall I have Magnetic Steel Pegboards (bought at Amazon.com).

Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
i built shelves using roughly this style in my basement:
Storage Shelving

I am VERY happy with them. they were cheap and are strong enough to hold me laying down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House