Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times

Advertisements

We have a sump pump in the (unfinished) basement, in a square hole. When we bought the house, there was a very high-tech cover: a big piece of plywood with a brick on top.

We still have this "cover" and I'm sick of it. It's now looking kind of grubby, I think one of the cats has peed on it, and the hose coming out from under the wood could get a little crushed. Not to mention the electrical cord.

So walked around Home Depot, looking for a "sump pump hole cover." Nope. They looked at me like I was from another planet.

Went online. Found a few round ones, and some plumber's websites that sell covers in bulk, 10 or more, for like $200 each. Didn't see any square 15-17 inch ones though.

So how do you cover a square sump pump hole, semi-attractively?

The inner length & width of the hole is 15 inches. Then it slightly sloped up at the top, presumably to not allow a lid to fall in. The outer length and width is 17 inches.

What have others done to cover their sump pump holes? I don't want the cats getting into it, or cat hair, and I obviously want a hole for the hose and electric cord. And I suppose there needs to be some type of hole or holes for water to go in, in case we flood again.

Any suggestions on where to buy one, or how a handy-but-has-no-professional-type-tools woman can make one?

My mom's idea, if it had been round, was actually interesting: buy a ceiling medallion like you would put on the ceiling to surround/highlight a chandelier, with the same diameter, and it already has a hole in it. But alas, my sump pump hole is square.

So something square, with holes in it. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
I never covered mine. A cover is just a place for roaches and crickets to hide.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
The covers I've seen were steel.

Just sheet steel cut in a circle of X" diameter (hole +3"?)...
with a slot in it from the center to the edge for the pipe.

The outer edge would have a 1.5" ridge around it so it stayed put .
Not complicated at all. Most sheet-metal shops could do it easy.
(18ga galvaneal painted with rustoleum would do)

Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 PM

hehe, fortunately, I don't have roaches or crickets in my basement. And I have to cover it, or the cats will get in there. Then I'll have fur clogging my sump pump. Or, knowing my coordination, I'll trip and fall into it

So, where does one find a "steel-metal shop"? Haven't seen one of those in my local mall. I suppose they can make a square and not just a circle?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:33 PM

do you have a yellow pages?

most shops will have a minimum charge though.
be prepared for that.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM

I just looked online for "steel metal shops" in my area. None have a website. So I may have to call a few.

They don't appear to be retail establishmients, though. I don't know if they're used to having some chick walking in asking them to make a lid.

It's weird that there aren't companies that just sell these things. Lots of people have sump pumps, right? Are they all round, and my square hole is the freak? Or do people just live with planks of plywood that don't exactly fit?

At this point, I'm willing to pay up to $100, but no more. And for that amount it must fit perfectly.

I did find some 17 inch square trash-can lids online, which might possibly work. They are like $30-$40. That's my fall-back plan.

I'd hoped there was somethng out there I could "McGyver" to work out.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,666 times
I don't have a lid on mine, as I like to see what's going on in there. I have seen them at the home improvement stores though. They were black plastic ones.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 PM

All I see in the stores are the round ones around here.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
They don't appear to be retail establishmients, though. I don't know if they're used to having some chick walking in asking them to make a lid.
Not retail. Some do HVAC ductwork and some do heavier things.
You want one that does the heavier things.

I used to be in that biz... (made s/s foodservice equip)
And I *loved* having chicks come in asking me to do stuff

Quote:
It's weird that there aren't companies that just sell these things. Lots of people have sump pumps, right? Are they all round, and my square hole is the freak? Or do people just live with planks of plywood that don't exactly fit?
Call one of the basement water proofing companies.
They nay have a source too as they install new pits as well.

Oh! I missed that you have a square hole and ya round is most common.
But that's good; it makes the custom fab easier.

Quote:
At this point, I'm willing to pay up to $100, but no more. And for that amount it must fit perfectly.
I used to have a $50 min.
$100 should be plenty of budget for this; even *perfect*

Quote:
I'd hoped there was somethng out there I could "McGyver" to work out.
I wish I was in NJ to McGyver something with you.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM

So I guess if I can't find anything ready-made or something I can rig up myself, I'll wear a nice outfit, and open up a can of clueless blonde and visit one of these metal-shops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House