Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 PM

858 posts, read 708,432 times

Advertisements

Any advice is appreciated.
I have an unfinished basement that I would like to finish one day. The problem is we have a really small issue with water coming in against one wall only during heavy rainstorms. When I say small, I mean small...meaning its the same as if someone poured out a pitcher or 2 of water. It trickles down the cinderblock wall and collects at the lowest point since it's an uneven floor. We had a waterproofing company come in and they recommend an interior french drain with a sump pump. this company is very reputable and I don't doubt that they would do a good job but am I potentially making the matter worse? I would potentially be bringing water inside the house to pump out. If the sump pump dies or we lose power, the basement will flood. Of course there's battery backups and generators but if we're away that week when a major storm hits that knocks out the power, no one is here to go to the backup system.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,677,118 times
Personally, I would spend my time and effort trying to stop the leak from occuring versus deal with it after it happens.

Now a sump pump in case it flooded, is another issue.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,927,009 times
You have to test and maintain the battery powered pump or when the power goes off you don't know if it will run. Even stranger, true story, the main pump can fail and you are relying on the battery backup pump. When it fails, you're soaked.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,624 posts, read 81,316,164 times
The proper repair is to dig out the area outside where it's coming in, waterproof the lower wall and foundation with a spray/ or roll on membrane, then place a gravel and drainage pipe to run the water out to the street or an outside french drain away from the house. The sump pump does nothing to keep the water from deteriorating your wall/foundation over time.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
...but am I potentially making the matter worse? I would potentially be bringing water inside the house to pump out...
This is the major flaw with interior drain systems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The proper repair is to dig out the area outside where it's coming in...
^^^This is THE correct way to FIX the problem. Expensive, yes. But, any way you look at it- it's still ultimately the correct way.
You can do a search of the House Forum- it's been cussed & discussed a bunch.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times
Kbuilder and the others are correct. Fix from the OUTSIDE first, only then resort to interior fixes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House