Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:54 PM

424 posts, read 2,342,226 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear your experiences with indoor latex paint. What's your favorite brand, and which ones would you avoid? Pretend price is not a factor, but go ahead and mention it if you like I'm going to need something that doesn't fade in the sun, that can hold up to kids getting fingerprints all over it, and I'd prefer it to go on evenly with just one coat.

I will also need something else for the bathrooms that don't vent well, so something that holds up to moisture, etc. in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM

309 posts, read 1,211,135 times
Greetings,
I have always used Dutch Boy Paints latex satin... bought a K- mart. Hasn't done me wrong, in the flat side of paint I use Sherwin Williams...
Be Blessed

Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM

22,622 posts, read 47,766,032 times
I am a fan of Benjamin Moore.
Pittsburgh Paints is my second choice.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,991,507 times
In general my favorite is Valspar however Olympic is a very close second and costs less.
In Colorado there is a local mfg. called KWALL - it's made for this climate. Excellent paint - cost about the same as Valspar.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,026,777 times
Benjamen Moore !

Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,804,954 times
I use to be a fan of Valspar, but when It took 2 coats to paint a light yellow on a already white primed wall, 4 gallons to do our bonus room and 1 gallon to paint the bottom of my dining room. I refused to spend anymore money on it. I use to use it all the time.
The only paints I have found right now that I like is Behr and even Sherwin Williams.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 PM

78 posts, read 330,799 times
Benj Moore
If the paint smell does not bother you then regal wall satin finish. aguaglow(sp)very washable
Lately sincemy wife is affected by the smell and I don't want windows open during the winter I have been using Natura. There is no smell but you have to roll a little slower. Cost about $48/gal

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,425,757 times
Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 AM

17,481 posts, read 66,162,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
I'd like to hear your experiences with indoor latex paint. What's your favorite brand, and which ones would you avoid? Pretend price is not a factor, but go ahead and mention it if you like I'm going to need something that doesn't fade in the sun, that can hold up to kids getting fingerprints all over it, and I'd prefer it to go on evenly with just one coat.

I will also need something else for the bathrooms that don't vent well, so something that holds up to moisture, etc. in there.
Sounds to me you're asking for specific use paint- not necessarily brand.

Most exterior paints have UV inhibitors- I'm not sure about interior.

All paints will hold hold to fingerprints- all don't handle scrubbing well. Most people tend to go with an eggshell finish for this. It handles cleaning quite well.

Non-vented or hard to ventilate bathrooms should be painted with oil based paints. A lot of people tend to think that acrylic latex will work, but it doesn't. It doesn't have the penetrating abilities that oil based does. I think they use it just because you can clean with water like regular latex.

Paints that cover in one coat? All paints will cover in one coat- it just depends on the prep work (like primer color), your spread rate/type of roller, type of paint.
A General rule of thumb- the more titanium oxide (solids) the better.

Brands...
My paint contractor has gone through three different manufacturers. It wasn't about quality, warranty (which is a joke), and it certainly wasn't about colors or types. It was strictly a matter of economics. What manufacturer would give him the best deal.
I would generally have him use Duron on my houses because- again economics- Duron would give me cash back for using their product. After a few years most other manufacturers got on the same bandwagon.

Personally, if I were buying paint I'd buy whatever is on sale/cheapest.
But whenever I need paint- I call my painter. He gives whatever I need- within reason.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,018,326 times
Benjamin Moore - the Aura line.

Mythic Paint has gotten great reviews from people I know, but I haven't tried it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating