Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,433,799 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be painting my bedroom this weekend and I need ideas on which paint brand to buy.

I've used Glidden and Behr before. Glidden was way too thin and I had to use three coats to paint several cream colored walls. It did dry very fast, though, so I was able to get those coats on in one day.

Behr has beautiful and vibrant colors, and it covered in just two coats, but it took FOREVER to dry. Weeks later, it still felt damp to the touch.

I will more than likely have to prime at least one wall (it's red), so are primer + paint types worth buying?

I don't want to spend more than $30-$40/gal.

If you're interested, here's the color scheme I'm looking at

SW6765 Spa - Sherwin-Williams

(Three walls spa, one wall aquarium)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM

22,641 posts, read 47,805,311 times
I am partial to Benjamin Moore.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,167,927 times
I only use Benjamin Moore paint. I recently covered a red wall. I was set to buy primer and the employee at Ace told me that Benjamin Moore paints have primer in them. I never knew that. I think it is the best paint but never tried to cover a red wall without using primer first. Sure enough the beige paint I purchased covered the red in one coat. I had to add a second coat in the corners but I always have to when I paint.

My second choice is Sherwin Williams. I have painted a lot over the years and have tried pretty much every single brand. Sears paint used to be really decent at one time. Behr I thought was horrible. I like the color swatches but every time I used it, the colors never came out like the swatch.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,059,035 times
I always use Sherwin Williams, they have a line of low VOC paints that the regular paint deck colors can be used in.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,433,799 times
Benjamin Moore sound great. Do you have any idea how much a gallon costs?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,167,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Benjamin Moore sound great. Do you have any idea how much a gallon costs?
Depending on the finish. Aura I believe is the best. I have used Pearl quite a bit, it is moderate in pricing among the different kinds. I bought a gallon of Pearl, eggshell finish (looks like flat but washable) for 40 dollars. There are many finishes. I always bought satin in other brands but found I like the eggshell finish with Ben Moore best.

I recently bought a quart of Aura when I painted some chairs. I wanted the most durable paint for those. I went with satin finish for that. A quart cost me 20 dollars. I think a gallon of that is 50. For a bedroom, I would go with Pearl.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 AM

892 posts, read 3,164,497 times
Behr is horrible "paint" - save your money, buy something good (Sherwin Williams)!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,011,457 times
I like Sherwin-Williams. Benjamin More is overpriced and home depot brands Behr and Glidden are not up to the quality of SW.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,343,541 times
I paint a LOT (three complete home interiors in the past five years) and have used many brands. I had my first experience with Behr recently (their new you-don't-need-a-primer kind) and I wasn't a happy camper. The paint was so thick the stirrer practically stood upright in the can. That might be preferable for drywall, but I was painting a highly textured wall. Despite the fact that I had the right high-quality roller, the paint wouldn't sink into the crevices of the texturing. Even after three coats (of a taupe shade over an off-white wall) I am still finding zillions of white dots on the wall. Maddening. And even though it was a bathroom, the amount of paint I was applying per coat made me have to use two gallons -- double my anticipated expenditure. I wouldn't use that paint in this house again. A thinner paint actually works much better on a textured wall.

I've painted many smooth plaster walls and on them I had my best-quality results -- and good color experiences -- with Benjamin Moore and Dunn Edwards. If you're price conscious and not looking for high-fashion colors, Sears-brand paint is OK. My experiences with Sherwin-Williams were fine. Not the very best paint from my experiences, but if you need advice with your painting, my trips to their stores have been first rate in terms of the service and support I received. I worked with a good contractor once and he insisted on S-W. He painted a home exterior for me and the results were excellent.

The best color results I've had (meaning the color looked like what I expected from the samples and I was happy with my choices) came from Martha Stewart-endorsed paints. I had no problems with the quality of those either -- the MS paint Lowe's was selling was Valspar. I recently did some of the common spaces in my house (entry, halls, etc.) with her color called Mercury Glass. I understand Home Depot is now selling a paint they're calling Martha Stewart Living, but I used the Valspar from Lowe's. I guess Martha sells her color palette to the highest bidder. For years I happily used her paints manufactured by Sears.

BTW, almost everyone claims they can match "ANY color" with their computers, but I've had less than satisfactory results with that.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM

630 posts, read 1,876,715 times
I don't even use a drop cloth when I paint with Aura from Ben Moore,however,it can't be re-rolled,put it up and leave it,brush out any drips immediately as it will be tacky within a minute or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating