Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 08:27 PM

224 posts, read 952,538 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else used this? The lady at the store talked me into it instead of Ben Moore. I used it in three rooms (two are the same color). I'm good at painting and the paint looks okay now that it's on. However, I did have some issues with it and here they are:

1. It definitely DOES NOT cover as well as Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams no matter what the store lady says! I had to use more than twice as much to cover the same amount of wall, thus negating the savings.

2. It has a weird smell to it that makes me feel slightly ill. If I take a break it's fine, but still. What's up with that smell? Haven't had that issue with BM, SW, or even crappy Walmart paint.

3. It's way drippy. I had to adjust for the runniness of it. I guess this is a minor issue compared to the first two. Kind of annoying, though, and made it take longer to paint as I had to be extra careful.

Overall I'm happy with how it looks on the walls, but I'm not happy that it took three times as long to do the job with Ace brand as it would with a higher end paint. I might use it again on a small area to save money but definitely not on a whole room. It was just too much of a pain to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:26 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,548,929 times
Thanks for posting this. As soon as I close on my house I plan on painting the whole house and I was at Ace yesterday checking out their paint. Now I know to stay away from it.

Regarding the drippy paint, I had the same problem with Porter paint, which is supposed to be a good brand. I paid over $40 for a gallon of Porter for a ceiling, and it was so thin that I could hardly work with it. No matter how little I put on my roller and how well I spread it out, it still kept running and dripping. I had to use 3 coats instead of 2 and it took so much longer to get the job done. What a waste of money! I used Valspar from Lowe's on the ceilings in the rest of house and had no problems at all with it. The only thing I don't like about Valspar is the odor.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,665,145 times
We have had good luck with Ace Brand Stain for our fence but not so much with "store brand" paint. I agree, they are much more drippy than BM. I only use BM now after trying pretty much every paint on the market.

We love our local Ace hardware store though. They are so helpful and knowledgeable and really good about knowing what I need when I walk in saying I need that thing that looks like this and does this .

Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,255,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
Has anyone else used this? The lady at the store talked me into it instead of Ben Moore. I used it in three rooms (two are the same color). I'm good at painting and the paint looks okay now that it's on. However, I did have some issues with it and here they are:

1. It definitely DOES NOT cover as well as Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams no matter what the store lady says! I had to use more than twice as much to cover the same amount of wall, thus negating the savings.

2. It has a weird smell to it that makes me feel slightly ill. If I take a break it's fine, but still. What's up with that smell? Haven't had that issue with BM, SW, or even crappy Walmart paint.

3. It's way drippy. I had to adjust for the runniness of it. I guess this is a minor issue compared to the first two. Kind of annoying, though, and made it take longer to paint as I had to be extra careful.

Overall I'm happy with how it looks on the walls, but I'm not happy that it took three times as long to do the job with Ace brand as it would with a higher end paint. I might use it again on a small area to save money but definitely not on a whole room. It was just too much of a pain to work with.
I was wondering if you live by me because the lady at my local ACE tries to talk me into their paint every damn time I go there. I politely refuse and tell her I stick with Ben Moore. Anyway, I see you are someplace else so ACE must be pushing their employees to sell their brand. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM

I'm glad this post could help some people. I searched for reviews on the Ace paint here on CityData and on the net in general, but they're surprisingly hard to find. I do suspect that Ace is instructing their employees to talk people out of Benjamin Moore and into Ace brand because one of the ladies actually told me that the color I wanted wouldn't "mix as well" in Ben Moore. Since the paint was for my bedroom (which I'll probably repaint in a year or so anyway) and another room that doesn't really matter, I figured I'd give the Ace a try as it was significantly cheaper. I used Benjamin Moore in the kids' rooms and Sherwin Williams in the living room and kitchen and they work so much better! If you look closely at the edges of the walls, you can also tell that the BM and SW paints just went on better overall. The Ace is streaky around the edges because I couldn't get it to blend as well due to the runniness. It's subtle (it looks okay from far away) but irritating if you're a perfectionist like me.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We love our local Ace hardware store though. They are so helpful and knowledgeable and really good about knowing what I need when I walk in saying I need that thing that looks like this and does this .
I like the store, too. It's right around the corner and I go there all the time. It's way easier to find what I need there, as opposed to wandering like a lost soul around the gigantic mausoleum that is Home Depot. I do wish they'd be a little more honest about the quality of their paint, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating