Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times

Advertisements

Clean, sand, clean, prime, sand, clean, prime, sand, clean and THEN you're ready to paint. Make sure you're using a paint that is self leveling since I am assuming you're not getting them sprayed (the best choice). Get the right paint! You can't just slap up latex wall paint on them and call it a day unless you want constant chipping and a somewhat ugly looking job.

It's a long process and if you're not very sure you can do it well, hire it out. The cost to have them professionally painted will be much much cheaper than replacement. Good news is that maple will take paint very nicely.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
I would not paint over any wood if I did not have to. It is a long drawn out process and is definitely much more than just buying paint and brush.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes you can paint maple.
It's not if you can, it's if you should. Maple is not cheap and if it's curly maple the cost is through the roof.

Hard to tell in this picture and this is not a great example to begin with but what looks like waves in the wood is perfectly flat, the grain of the wood has a 3-d effect and the color changes depending on the angle you are looking at it. $$$$

Old 03-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not if you can, it's if you should. Maple is not cheap and if it's curly maple the cost is through the roof.

Hard to tell in this picture and this is not a great example to begin with but what looks like waves in the wood is perfectly flat, the grain of the wood has a 3-d effect and the color changes depending on the angle you are looking at it. $$$$
I seriously doubt their kitchen cabinets are curly maple. If I were a betting woman, it's pretty standard maple as seen on millions of kitchen cabinets. The new builder grade replacement for builder grade oak cabinets.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,143,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
...(it's) definitely much more than just buying paint and brush.

Oh yeah, prove it to the thousands that have done it that way!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Oh yeah, prove it to the thousands that have done it that way!
Sure, thousands do it that way and thousands end up with crap results that don't last. Always been of the mindset that if you're going to do something, do it right.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times
I've done some really nice jobs painting cabinets. It's a personal preference for some. In my opinion nothing looks worse than standard orangey yellow maple. Never liked it and never will, would paint it after moving in 5 minutes if I could. Curly maple in the picture above is very pretty but I have not seen any cupboards of it, not that they don't have it, just have never seen anyone have it.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,591,451 times
I have painted lots of kitchen cupboards and it does not have to be that big a job. Rustoleum now makes a primer for cupboards that you don't even have to sand before using. I used it last year and I admit, I sanded anyway. The sanding isn't really too much work anyway. I used a painting system called "cabinet transformations" by Rustoleum and I'm very happy with the results. It's a 4 part system. The first product is a clear liquid that seemed to me to be like liquid sandpaper, which by the way is an amazing product. Then there is a coloured coat, the colour dependent on your final colour choice. Third there is a glaze that produces whatever faux finish you desire and finally a clear coat finish coat.

I have painted white and it's difficult as every little imperfection stands out like a sore thumb. Aldo, every little bit of wear will show in the future.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:15 PM

786 posts, read 1,595,413 times
I just put in a white kitchen [new cabinets], went through the same dilemma about whether to paint them, the contractor talked me out of it, I'm glad I got new white cabinets. Maple is a beautiful wood, ever think of stripping and polyglycoating? Other thought is what about stripping and a white wash, rather than a total white out with paint. I've been some beautiful salvage jobs done with white washing cabinets, good luck, any way you slice it, it will be a challenge! PS. Natural wood cabinets will be back in, it's only a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating