Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM

584 posts, read 2,157,098 times

Advertisements

I have a basic generic kitchen cabinet setup that is that bland honey brown color. The clear finish has come off and looks terrible. I'm thinking about what to do, either reapply gloss or paint a color. I really hate the honey brown color, so I want to paint it a different color or two. But will that hurt a resale potential in the future or do people care? Also, it takes up a lot of room, the cabinets are everywhere including a pass through to the living room, so you can see the honey brown color from a lot of rooms. Should I gloss clear, or paint it? If I did a two paint, maybe leave most honey brown natural color and then maybe paint the doors a color, but what color goes with that honey brown natural wood color? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 PM

17,496 posts, read 66,327,106 times

Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,025,280 times
Painting cabinets is a difficult process. I've done two kitchens and I never want to do another. In order to do then properly you need to strip, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint. A hand painted cabinet will never looks as good as one that is sprayed. I did both of mine in place and they were tedious projects. They look as good as hand painted cabinets can possibly be - so said the professional painters who eventually repainted the houses.

I used InsilX primer and InsilX Cabinet Coat. In white. Both hard to work with but you do get the hang of it.

I painted these oak cabinets because they were all solid oak.. including the boxes... and handmade and antique. I just hate oak - but they came with both properties. They were also ugly as sin with bad stain and poly jobs and circa 1970 hardware.

If I were you, I'd just clearcoat the cabinets.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,243,381 times
I would still sand down the top clear coat before you put any new on.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM

I've already sanded them. Just waiting til I decide on color or gloss.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 PM

786 posts, read 1,598,718 times
I would get an estimate from a reputable contractor that specializes in cupboard refacing, it's surprisingly affordable and would make them look brand new. By the time you spend the money on good quality paint or polyglycoat which are both quite expensive, add in your labor and time, mess with the repeated sanding, etc., it might be worth considering. Since you have so many cabinets, you might want to consider white. Refacers usually replace the doors [which you can do yourself if you're savvy, you can order an unlimited number of styles and colors from internet dealers, get new hinges and do it yourself] but they also usually use a formica-like covering for the cabinet faces around the doors to match which is more difficult to do yourself, but painting those surfaces is less daunting compared to the doors, the cabinet doors are the difficult issue with painting. Also ends of cabinets look much better with a formica surface glued on compared to painting. Good luck, kitchen remodeling is always a challenge.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM

17,496 posts, read 66,327,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I've already sanded them. Just waiting til I decide on color or gloss.
Sanded them how?
If you've gone through the stain anywhere you might as well paint them. If the stain is still complete I'd shoot a coat of clear lacquer and call it a day.
Pics would still help!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM

18,512 posts, read 31,753,973 times
If the cabinets are not great, I would just paint them.

For re-sale, which I personally don't worry about, I know everyone here does, but I say: do for you now, not what you think for someone else 5 years from now might want, because you are the one living there now.

anyway, if they are not great cabinets I don't think the coat of paint would hurt, it wouldn't be like you are ruining something.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 PM

They are just plain wood, no stain, and then they put a thin clear gloss on top to make them shiny. The shiny clear gloss has come off on certain areas. So, I needed to sand certain areas to make it more smooth. I did not install these, it came with the house. So, yes, it looks horrible and I want to fix it. I think I might go with the paint. Do I put a clear gloss on top of the paint after?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM

I'm wondering if there is a clear gloss topcoat that is also waterproof. Going from the sink to the dishwasher, water always manages to drip on some of the cabinet doors, which over time would mess it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating