Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,944 times

Advertisements

The trim is in my way, and I don't know what to do!

I'm taking on a project of repainting my old bedroom at my parents house, so they may sell the house and not have to try to convince someone to buy my questionably colored childhood room. It's been a hassle. The room is nearly square, 11'6" by 11'6" by 8' tall, all covered in a dark jungle green paint, froggy wall paper border, a jungle mural, and this hideously orange wood trim on both the top and bottom of the room, around the doors, and the window. Most of the mural has been removed, it was just wallpaper, but the trim is covering up a bit that I cant get to. Our house is a pier and beam house on black clay. The house shifts a lot, and so the trim isn't quite flush with the wall anymore. You can see the leftover wallpaper underneath it but not get enough of a grip on it to remove it. There's also a break in the two of the corners of the room where one wall is scooting apart from the other. I have patching to make it not look as crumbly, but the trim is in my way there as well.

So, my dilemma is this; the trim is covering up old wall paper that can be seen but not removed, it's covering up a split in the wall, and it is just plain ugly. It won't go with the colors I have chosen for the room at all. I want to either paint it, or stain it a dark chocolate color. How on earth do I remove it, not damage the wall or the trim AND be able to stain/paint it and put it back where it was (or if possible make it better)? I only have the funds for paint, stain, and patching. I don't want to have to buy all new trim for this.

I will be sincerely grateful if someone has the knowledge to tell me what to do. Thanks so much for reading my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 AM

17,503 posts, read 66,410,556 times
Secure it to the wall-
Use a utility knife to cut away any remaining wallpaper- this will leave a nice clean edge in-which to caulk.
Paint the trim first-
Then the walls-

Got any pics?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right way to get pictures on here, but here is the evil splitting corner and ceiling trim.
photo 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is the floor trim. As you can see, there's quite a large gap in between. The black fuzzy is old steel wool to keep the mice from squeezing in.
photo 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And this is the ceiling trim along the wall which had the mural on it.
photo 5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,250,010 times
The above links are not working, see if this link works. Then click through the group of photos.

Yes just cut the paper at the wood, then it will be able to be stripped away, leaving the rest of the paper under the trim. I would suggest painting the trim the same color as the wall if you are going to leave it. It doesn't look too hard to get down, probably just nailed in, but you would have to do quite a bit of patching. The shifting would alarm me if I was a buyer so I would suggest taking the trim down.

photo 5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Yeah. There's nothing to be done about the shifting for us though. We'd have to change foundations to a concrete slab, and that would take a whole lot of construction and money. We're fixing up as much as we can, and just hope someone wants a project home. We don't have the resources to fix everything.
Yes, that link works! How did you do that? I couldn't figure it out.
Thank you for your advice.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,852 posts, read 81,862,596 times
Even the joint where the two pieces of trim meet is out of alignment. I would remove it. Use a metal putty knife to protect the wall then pry bar to get it off. Paint and re-install or leave off. You can make sure the ends meet squarely and use more nails to pull it down flush to the wall without gaps.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM

17,503 posts, read 66,410,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harelia Dupont View Post
...just hope someone wants a project home.

So why "fix" anything?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM

You're welcome. I think that you need a certain number of posts before your links work.

Yes I would take down the trim that doesn't meet or put up a new piece. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 PM

You're welcome. I think that you need a certain number of posts before your links work.

Yes I would take down the trim that doesn't meet or put up a new piece. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,303,699 times
Just another opinion here -- I'd remove all the trim, then stain/paint it and reinstall it after you've painted the sheetrock. It should be nailed on with finish nails, then the holes puttied. Removing and reinstalling it should be very simple. (Pry bar/crow bar with something between it and the wall to protect the wall -- like a small 1/4-inch piece of plywood.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating