Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So why "fix" anything?
It's a difficult situation to explain. I'm not selling the house. My parents are not selling the house yet either. They whine about moving out, but we've lived in this 70 year old house for 14 years and have only done repairs when something crumbles. The whole house is a mess. This room is actually the best room in the house. This is my childhood bedroom. I'm changing it because I need a clean break from them. I don't have the resources to repair their house for them. I've done many things for my family and they sit on their tushes and whine that things don't get done. I don't need to fix all their problems if they aren't willing to fix them. Besides I don't want to visit my parents and find out that they still kept my room the exact same way it's been since I was 11. I'm just trying to fix up my part as best as I can, so they don't have to think twice about keeping the room for sentimentality's sake. That's why I'm "fixing" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,856,925 times
Sounds like it's more or less a sort of "closure" for you which isn't always a bad thing. Anyway you look at it, though, improvement in a home is never a bad thing, either. If you could get the trim down without any damage, that would simplify things. If not, tape the trim, paint the walls, then come back, and take your time touching up the trim.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,282,366 times
That's great you want to leave it better than it is. I hope it goes well.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,467,013 times
You can also use fabric softener thinned down with water to remove the old wall paper. Spray it on, wait 10-15 minutes, and scrape away the wallpaper. It really works fast and it's easy.

Then wash the residue off with plain water and dry it with a cloth.

The walls will need a primer and then paint. You might need to sand the walls where it is peeling or bumpy.

I would use wood filler or putty to fill in the gaps on the trim, let it dry, and then paint it a nice white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating