Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,762,265 times

Advertisements

What finish do people generally use when painting trim? I am using an eggshell finish on the walls, but was uncertain what finish to use for the trim.
Also, is it important to buy good paint for the trim or will picking up some cheaper paint at WalMart work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:04 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,115,078 times
I much prefer oil base on trim/ It is much toughwer and tales scrubbing well.Most painter won't use it because it tales more time between coats. But it keeps a wet edge better and looks like it is sprayed on if gone right.I's buy teh best qauilty paint especailly for trimas it will last longer even if you repaint the walls again and again.I'd use egg sheel like the walls.A paint store can advise you of the prep. I don;'t even thion that Wal-mart sells ol base. Betetr to go to a paint specailty store as you want the best on trim because you seldom paint it as much and it gets alot more wear.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,039,012 times
Indeed, oil-base paint for trim is great for look and for longer-lasting wear. However, when the day comes to repaint, you have to use oil-base - using latex (which is cheaper and easier than oil-base) becomes difficult. We did all the proper preparing - sanding, priming, etc., but we could never get a great-looking nor long-lasting new coat of latex over the oil-base. That's not to say I'm trying to steer you away from oil-base, just an FYI for the future.

Whether painting with oil-base or latex on the trim, I do recommend something with a bit of sheen - it's much, much easier to wash off the fingerprints and dirt.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 PM

652 posts, read 2,668,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Indeed, oil-base paint for trim is great for look and for longer-lasting wear. However, when the day comes to repaint, you have to use oil-base - using latex (which is cheaper and easier than oil-base) becomes difficult. We did all the proper preparing - sanding, priming, etc., but we could never get a great-looking nor long-lasting new coat of latex over the oil-base. That's not to say I'm trying to steer you away from oil-base, just an FYI for the future.

Whether painting with oil-base or latex on the trim, I do recommend something with a bit of sheen - it's much, much easier to wash off the fingerprints and dirt.
I was told by a pro painter (never did it though) if you use an oil base prime over the oil base paint you can you a latex paint over that.
I agree oil base is best but have only used it once myself. Just cause I like the easy non smelly latex.
I also agree with the sheen. I like semi gloss personally. I have kids and a dog and wash/wipe down my trim often.
If you dont want to do touch up and want it to last, get the best paint possible. no cheap paint there!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:28 PM

604 posts, read 4,629,631 times
semi gloss is the typical sheen I've always used. Good tip is to use a basic color already premixed in the can (i.e. Behr Ultra White is what i use) so you can always get more with out having to worry about different batches.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,754,525 times
I would personally use a high-quality high gloss paint. Easier to scrub and really looks nice with walls in more of a matte/eggshell finish. I truly prefer oil paint instead of latex, IMO it is easier to not have brush strokes showing and sands better between coats if you want to do that. However, most (all?) white oil paints will yellow slightly over time, but I believe that takes awhile (I have never had bad experience with that).

Oil is stinkier, but I actually find it much easier to clean up since with mineral spirits it wipes off easily, in fact more easily than latex does with water. Couldn't believe it though, Lowes only had ONE variety of oil paint (went there for my mantle-refinishing project)! It seemed cheap but did the trick. I'd suggest a specialty shop, though.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:07 PM

652 posts, read 2,668,782 times
Oh! I forgot to add....
I moved about a yr ago and repainted the majority of the house b4 I sold it. I was reccomended to use floor paint for the trim. so I used that in hallway,bath, and kitchen. it was behr ultra white floorpaint. expensive. when I talked to the new homeowners over the summer I asked them about it and they said it was holding up great. they actually did not realize that it was painted. this is a household with 6kids dogs and cats. Other animals too. I think they have a zoo.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:42 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,762,265 times
Thanks for all the replies.
It is just me, so I am not worried too much about wear But, I will look into oil-based and will definitely get a semi-gloss.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,363,012 times
If you have kids in your home, I would get a high quality semi or high gloss latex.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,818,085 times
I personally like a high gloss on trim. The one I used in our house when we owned it was a Painters White that I had mixed at Lowes. My In-laws have oil base on their trim in their new home and my MIL hates it. She is very picky when she paints.
You can use Kilz oil base primer over an oil base paint to paint latex over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating