Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 53,317 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone ,

Here is our situation . We are building a new home and are stuck at the flooring choices . I want hardwood (glued down) in entry which would continue to Formal dining and family room .
My husband is of the opinion that we should break the flooring in foyer halfway between tile and hardwood .
I think it will look awkward .
please help ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Certainly the hardword will look better and give a continous feel to the spaces. Personally I would opt for something more durable in an entryway, but that depends on how much use the entryway will get. If you have a mudroom or other entrance for everyday, then by all means do hardwood. If you plan to use the front door everyday, then I would suggest finding a nice stone floor for the foyer. If you do go hardwood, get a nice area rug for the space so anyone visiting has an opportunity to lose any sand/dirt on the rug before they enter your home.

Either way - I don't think it will look "awkward" just more of a preference thing. We recently saw a house that had the same natural stone in the foyer, kitchen, mudroom and hall to the garage. The dining room, living room and family rooms were all hardwood. We actually liked this feature because it meant the most heavily traveled areas of the house would have less wear and tear on the floors.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I like the continuity and warmth of hardwood (real hardwood) as opposed to tile. I find it very easy to care for, never goes out of style, goes with any decor, is best for resale and should last the life of the house - not things you can say about most floor coverings. Vacuum and mop with hardwood floor cleaner once a week. I also love a big wool entry rug as well - beautiful look and those nice wool rugs last many years.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Carry over the hardwoods, and put a nice durable throw rug where people are likely to be stomping around in dirty shes.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Hardwood all the way!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Carry over the hardwoods, and put a nice durable throw rug where people are likely to be stomping around in dirty shes.

A throw rug that people can stomp around in with dirty shoes? How about a nice mat outside the door and wipe your feet before you come in then take your shoes off when you get inside the door...that way the nice area rug doesn't get ruined

Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
We have hardwood throughout our entire downstairs including the entry way. We keep a rug by the front door and its been 4 years and the wood still looks great.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
Hardwood for consistency. Rug idea is a must!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I prefer hardwood but you'll have to be attentive to moisture if you live in a rainy and snowy region. You'll need to use other entrances and utilize area rugs to protect the floor. Tile does solve this problem if you think you are the type of family that can't control yourselves.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
^^ I agree with hopes. While I know everyone loves hardwoods throughout, I just don't think they are practical in certain areas and I'm sorry, but over time small spills that go unnoticed or melting snow from a guests shoes that doesn't get mopped up will damage the floors.

Granted its been 15 years and they don't have the best cleaning habits (house only gets cleaned once every two weeks by a cleaning lady), but my inlaws have hardwoods throughout their entire house and frankly in the kitchen, foyer, half bath and hall area that leads to the garage they are completely trashed. The finish is gone, there are scrapes and scratches everywhere. It most noticable in the kitchen near the sink/dishwasher and in the half bath where I think years of "misses" have really damaged the floor.

Do what you want, but if you are not the type of person who is on top of it, your floors won't look that good that long. We have slate in our foyer and its worked out really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating